Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:49 PM
shawn_dh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Throttle body spacer

I have a 98 4.3L blazer. Besides a little improvement in HP and torq. what type of improvement in gas mileage will a throttle body spacer give, if any. If anybody has one, do you think that it would be worth purchasing just for the benefits of gas economy, or would it be a waste of money? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:49 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Throttle body spacer

as far as gas economy goes i wouldnt.. i think you might gain like 1-2 mpg and i really dont think that they give you all that much horsepower at least i dont think its that worth buying for that kinda money thats just me though

Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i put one on my old 88 k5 and didn't notice a thing. not worth the money or effort in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:10 AM

Thank you for the input. They sound good in theory, but I am still skeptical of the product. Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 PM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

shawn, have you done any mods to your truck yet?

Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah get one you can definatly feel the difference

Old 05-19-2005, 12:30 AM

No I have not done any mods.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:36 PM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point

You can feel the difference and i forgot to mention that my exhaust has a burble to it now after you rev it up but as far as gas mileage i havent seen a difference but i did notice rpm's rise faster and acceleration increase

Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay it all depends on which one you get.

If it has straight through holes then don't expect much. You may see a little change but not enough to make you feel it was worth it.

Now if you get one of those with the spiraled out holes then the diff would be quite noticeable. How well depends on the angle and what-not of the spirals.

The story as I can see it is this. If it is just a straight hole then it is doing nothing to the airflow. No disturbance, no cooling, no de-atomizing, no nothing. All it is doing is giving the fuel about an 1/8th of a second more to try to mix with the air. It is acting as the name states. Spacing things out.

If the hole is not smooth; may it be spiraled or grooved it is accually effecting the air-flow. These are set up to creat a votex of sort. This will spin the air as it comes in therefor doing a small touch of cooling. Also the spiraling effect will help to mix the fuel with the air. Better mixxing leads to better burning. If it burnes stronger you get more bang for the buck leading to better mileage when your foot is not in the floorboard.

Picture it like this. While making some kool-aid put the water and the mix in a pitchure and just poor it into another one. Don't stir it. With this you will not yet have kool-aid just some nasty watery stuff. Now start over. Put your water and mix in the pitchure and give a good stir. Get it all spining pretty well. As it spins poor it into another pitchure. You will notice a feel of added force coming off of it. Once it is in the other pitchure you will have something much closer to a good kool-aid.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

now im thirsty.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer