Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM
StephanieP3 is on a distinguished road
Default Tune up

I don't know if this is in the right section or not but we just got a 94 blazer and it needs a tune up but we do it ourselves cause it's cheaper so, how many spark plugs and how many wires do you need to do your own tune up on a 94 s10 blazer? vortec engine if that helps.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member
HigherPower is an unknown quantity at this point

1992–1994 - 4.3 L (262 cu in) Vortec 4300 L35 V6, CPFI, 200 hp (149 kW)/260 lb·ft (353 N·m) VIN "W"

V-6

That being said you should get:

- 6 spark plugs, get the pre-gapped ones if available...makes it easier.
- a set of wires.
- Distributor.
- Rotor.

Without removing the old distributor yet place the new distributor just on top of it and oriented in the same manner as the old one, remove one wire and one plug then install in the same location as the old one. Make sure to do one wire at a time so you don't mess up the placement. Doing it wrong can cause it to misfire which can cause damage. You could use tape and lable the wires and the plugs doesn't matter which order 1, 2, 3, etc.... and use a sharpie on the old distributor then do one at a time. which ever is easier for you.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Would it be worth it cost wise to do it myself or would it be better to take it somewhere? Wires alone I found for 25 and 2-3 bucks per plug. We've never done tune ups through a shop with our hyundai accent 98 we had and never had issues but then again we only did wires and plugs and that was it.

Anyway, we want to do it as cheap as possible because we don't have much to work with per month in repair funds.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Beginning Member
HigherPower is an unknown quantity at this point

You could do it yourself quite easily with the right tools. But I saw your other post.....if you have a knock going on it may be worth having a "Reputable repair shop" take a look at it before you do it.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 AM

We plan on having it checked it could just be a few days before we can. And we have to use it between then and now.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Lol i just replied to your other thread. If you wanna try this before having the motor checked go for it. You need 6 spark plugs. Go with ac delco or ngk plugs only. ngk v-powers are my favorite. Wires,meh store brand or whatever is fine for now. You dont need a distributor,but you need the distributor cap & rotor. its nothing but a cap that bolts on top that the wires run to from the motor. The rotor is inside the cap. Make sure you replace the fuel filter too. its underneath the drivers side towards the rear of the blazer mounted on the side of the frame. Looks like a soda can.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM

That's awesome to know, thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Platinum plugs will offer a longer service life than standard copper/nickle electrodes. These trucks do prefer AC Delco ignition components, the cap & rotor especially.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Okay so if we at least do the cap w/ rotor, plugs and wires, we'll spend about 85, which we can do, we can probably afford 1 filter. What is the most important one to change? I know you suggested the fuel filter.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I would recommend:
AC Delco Distributor Cap - D580A - $12.52
AC Delco Rotor - D446 - $6.43
AC Delco Wire Set - 9716W - $32.79
AC Delco Platinum Plug - 41803 - $5.56/plug x6 = $33.36 - benefit of a much longer life than standard copper plugs
AC Delco Fuel Filter - GF652 - $10.11
Total Price (as quoted by RockAuto.com <-- link goes to a shopping cart with all these items in it) = $93.13 +s&h ($16.81 to my place).

If you really are strapped for cash, you could go with the copper plugs:
AC Delco Std. Plug - CR43TS - $1.65/plug x6 = $9.90 - copper plug
or NGK V-power Plug - UR1 - $1.61/plug x6 = $9.66 - copper plug

I would also inspect the air filter. Hold it up to the sun and if you can see light, you can keep using it. If you can't, replace it.

Quick Reply: Tune up