Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

UT OH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Njudkins21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UT OH!!!

Hey guys this is more of a drain train problem, hopefully you can help me out!

When i turn me wheel all the way and go forward or reverse i get a loud clunk..clunk..clunk..clunk..
it happens either way i turn my wheel,doesnt happen all of the time but a lot. I believe its the u-joints, but how do i check my u-joints with the rubber boot over them?

If anyone has any info they can give me/repair info/prices/anything at alllll let me know!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: UT OH!!!

ORIGINAL: Njudkins21

Hey guys this is more of a drain train problem, hopefully you can help me out!

When i turn me wheel all the way and go forward or reverse i get a loud clunk..clunk..clunk..clunk..
it happens either way i turn my wheel,doesnt happen all of the time but a lot. I believe its the u-joints, but how do i check my u-joints with the rubber boot over them?

If anyone has any info they can give me/repair info/prices/anything at alllll let me know!!!

A year and model will help and if its 4x4 or not. Have you checked the ball joints yet? they make that same noise when cornering, A grind is usually accompanied with the knock if its the cv or u joint in front I think. maybe thats just for CV's though.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM

96 blazer LT 4x4

Old 09-14-2006, 12:29 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

This could be several things, does it only happen when the wheel is turned ALL THE WAY in either direction or just slightly turned? If it is ALL the way only then it probably just needs some grease on the steering stops. These are just a little piece of steel hex rod welded onto the front and rear of both front lower control arms that "stop" the steering knuckle from turning any farther. It could also have a binding front axle actuator cable that is partially locking the front diff. in. That same problem could be caused by a faulty (sticking) vacuum switch on the transfer case. Does the 4x4 work, and does the noise quit when it's in 4WD? Could also be the ball-joints.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

it's a common noise when the truck as at "full lock" which is full turning.

Its normal. S-10's ftw?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM

It only happens when i have steering wheel turned all the way. I have not tried it in 4 wheel drive, and yes my 4 wheel drive works great. What grease do i put on and where exactly are the "stops"? Thanks guys!!!