Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

what wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Jimmiero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what wrong?

I was driving home from work one day and my 81 blazer, which has a Goodwrench Crate 350 with about 60k miles on it,started running REALLY rough. Soo i took my carb off to realize the spring thing above my float was stuck soo i cleaned it all and now it runs just as rough only differently. It runs like the timeing is waay off just a reeeeal bad miss, but i checked the timeing and its right where is should be. It also smells like i have gas in my oil. Someone said i have a blown head gasket, but i dunno. Did one of my rings go? Im stumped on what to do next. This was my only running rig too so i dunno what im going to do. I replaced all my plugs and wires i have a brand new cap, rotor, coil, and fuel pump. Could someone help me?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: what wrong?

It sounds like you need a carb overhaul and an oil change. If your float is stuck low, it will be over fueling and pouring gas into the intake.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Im hoping soo but i did take the top off and a couple of the floats her what off and cleaned them soo thats why im sceptical as to weather it might be that or not. I also had my car rebuilt like a month or soo ago.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

All it takes is the smallest piece of dirt between the needle and seat just under the back of the float, to allow the carb to flood.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 AM

aight thanks....ima try puttin a different carb on tomarrow to see how that goes then ill know and if thats it then i can totally rebuild mine or get a new ont thats not such a piece of crap

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Which carb are you running now? Quadjet, Holley, Eldo, Rochester and the CFM 600, 650?
As for the gas in your oil, if the return spring on the float was shot, then you would had been dumping excessive fuel. This also happens durring cold starts when it feels like the engine will shake you right out of the truck. Just means you need to do an oil change, not head gaskets. I also highly doubt that the rings would be gone with only 60k on a crate motor (not unless you really burnt her up racing it).

Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 PM

alright, it had a quadjet on it and the the one i was having problems with...soo we took another quadjet that my friend used to have on his truck and put it on there and it did the same exact thing. This is really started to be a pain in the *** because its my only rig i can drive soo ive had to get rides to work for about a week now. Thanks for all the help thus far by the way

Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the coil new or used?
Cross check your firing order
HEI distrib or external coil?
could be the ignition control modual (pending on what system you are running)

There are loads of if's. Just so you know gas in your oil, does not mean a head gasket.
A compression test will help you to see if the rings are good or going or bad.
Might want to check the intake gasket (front above the water pump) if it shows signs of oil there, it might had blown out the front part of the gasket for your intake. That would mean you are sucking air and would cause it to run very poorly (pending on just how much of the gasket is gone).

Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Gas in my oil though means im getting too much somehow. And i have an HEI distributer with a new cap rotor and coil pack. I haven't yet checked my intake gasket though i'll check that.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could have a torn fuel pump bellows, the mechanical pumps had a rubber bellows to suck gas from the tank and push it into the carb bowl. If this becomes torn then you could be pushing gas straight into the pan...and this might also be the reason for rough running since there would be lower fuel pressure to fill the bowls...they might be sucking air...

Quick Reply: what wrong?