Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Worth the swap??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 AM
ridin_low07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worth the swap??

I have an 88 4x4 with a 2.8 litre i think. Would it be worth droppin a small block 350 in it in order to reach a goal of 275 horses? The guy who im buying the 350 from has had it polished and ported and he wants a grand for it. He had it in a 98 Tahoe that was runnin a 11.74@112mph. If i dropped it in my 88 wouldn't it give it a big boost?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Worth the swap??

Here
Here
Here
& Here

This site sucks for information about doing swaps. Some places to start. I'm in the process of doing a sbc swap. If you do have a 2.8 then you have more work involved than a 4.3. Will need a new tranny/rad/special oil pan/exhaust. I'm still learning as I go what to do. Also pick up a book about swaps. I"m borrowing a JTR (jags that run) manual and reading that.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:34 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

"This site sucks for information about doing swaps."
V8 swaps aren't talked about much on here because they aren't as common in Blazers as S10's, most Blazer owners don't care about/need a V8. There are people here that know about V8 swaps, its just not posted all over the place, we also have a LOT less members than S10forum, this is much newer.

Check out Howell EFI -Click they have wiring harnesses for putting newer small block 350 into older vehicles. They have universal harnesses, specific harnesses, and ones for manual/non-electric transmissions and electric controlled transmissions. You will need new mounts, conversion headers, the ECU from the donor vehicle, and a solid 4L60E, since it is from a Tahoe, it will have the electronically controlled transmission, the one he is using is probably built up already if you can buy it with the motor. You will need a custom oil pan. The rad stock radiator support should be fine, but you will need a radiator from a 4.3 V6 or a V8. You will have to use an E-fan on the front of the radiator and condensor as a pusher, instead of the clutch fan that pulls the air through. Buy the JTR manual for the swap, it will help out a lot. Here's a link.... Jags That Run -Click
If that motor ran a Tahoe that fast in the quarter, it definitely has more than 275 horses. Might want to look into beefing up the rear axle with an E-locker

Hope that helps

Old 06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

i believe youre looking at a lot of work to keep the 4x4... a 2wd is a simple swap.

$1000 is a pretty big pricetag for a 350 that has been just "ported and polished." what else has been done to it? have you heard it run? if youre willing to spend that much you may want to consider building your own. 350's are cheap and relatively easy to build.

why is your goal 275 hp?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get 275hp out of a 4.3L with a cam and headers.
If your serious about a 5.7L, look for something in the 350hp range.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
presidential is an unknown quantity at this point

How much was that 350 you're obtaining been sprayed? Seems like there is also a bit more to that motor than what was posted? If it pushed a heavy Tahoe to mid 11's, it had to have had some sort of power adder (nitrous, supercharger, turbo). Personally, I'd be wary of such a motor, even though they can take alot of abuse. The price is what worries me, motors capable of the power level needed to push a heavy car that fast with no power adder are severely high dollar internally.

Here is a "for instance" for you. My old boss has a GMC 1500 pickup. It has a GM sportsman block that has been bored and stroked with a calley's crank (383 now), Eagle H beams, JE pistons, custom grind cam, AFR high port heads (ported, polished, cnc'd), and a nice 76mm Garrett turbo. His truck runs 11.50's currently with slicks and a cal-trac @ 12psi so far. This is why I doubt the motor you described is all that the owner says it is.

Sorry for the novel, I'm a racer at heart.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
BlaZeR FXB1581 is an unknown quantity at this point

i know someone who put a small block in an 85 s-10 blazer

all i have to say is...man is that thing fast

he has completely built up a new exhaust too

it is registered as a kit car so he doesnt need cats

fastest car at our high school
beats all the rich kids with their 300zx and camaros

but it also is a 2x4

Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2.8L 4x4 86 blazer and to get a 350 in it is very difficult to do because the transfer case is in the way of the engine. to get the 350 in you would basically have to get rid of your 4x4 so it will fit. i am in the process of rebuilding a 4.3L engine that my dad had lying around. the 4.3L is basically a 350 with the last 2 cylinders chopped off, so there is room to keep the transfer case so i can stil use 4x4 in the harsh winters we get in my home town. the 4.3L can put out very decent hp and i believe that having the 4x4 (4.3 L) with say 275 hp is better than having 2x4 (350) and having say 375 hp.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to remove your 4x4 to put in a 350. And you've got the wrong parts in the way... The transfer case is on the back of the transmission. The front differential is in the way of a 350 with a stock oil pan. The oil pan must be modified for use in any early s-series 4wd.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

yup and they make an oil pan specailly for an s10 with a 350 swap. I beleive summit carries them.

Quick Reply: Worth the swap??