Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

00 blazer engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 AM
wide'n'low is on a distinguished road
Default 00 blazer engine removal

so my wifes 00 blazer 4x4 i got her last year, died a month ago. coolant mixed into the oil and overheating issues killed it (bad water pump/gaskets). i got it for $700 knowing the engine could die. no big deal. i got a replacement 4.3 with 116k miles, 180psi on every cylinder for $770 on monday. im now ready to swap it out.

im new to 4wd suvs, and noticed the tranny and transfer case are almost as long as the suv and weigh a ton! and i only have a 2 ton hoist. i dont want to pull the tranny and transfer case for these reasons. are there any tips or tricks for getting the engine out while leaving the tranny and transfer case in?

ive got some of the bellhousing bolts removed from the bottom of the engine but i cant reach the top ones. i thought about removing the trans mount/frame member that goes across, unhooking the drive shaft, and disconnecting the motor mounts. to drop the motor down and a inch or 2 foward. anyone think this might work?
also i dont want to drop the front diff if i dont have to.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To get to the top bolts on the bell housing typically the transmission mount is removed & a lot of extensions are used along with a universal joint socket.

You'll need to remove the starter to get at the torque converter bolts, rotating the engine to access each of them.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
wide'n'low is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
To get to the top bolts on the bell housing typically the transmission mount is removed & a lot of extensions are used along with a universal joint socket.

You'll need to remove the starter to get at the torque converter bolts, rotating the engine to access each of them.
thanks for the info, very helpful. thats what i assumed, i just wanted a clear answer from someone whos done it before.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Beginning Member
lt1/ta is on a distinguished road

I have found that if you raise the motor and pull the motor mounts off on the engine side then let the motor back down you can remove the top four bellhousing bolts a lot easier.

I just pulled and replaced the motor in my 97 4wd blazer just a few weeks ago,I removed the motor in two hours without a lift,just an engine hoist.

I would pull the steering shaft off(the one between the column and the steering box),this made it much easier pulling and installing the motor.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Well i know you said you dont want to.. But when i did a swap on a 98 jimmy we took the front clip off (pretty easy) and just slid the engine and transmission out as one. Made life much easier, and we also just had a 2 ton engine hoist.

Another option would be to take all the body mount bolts out on one side (leave the other ones in but leave them lose) and jack up the one side of the body about 2 inches and that should give you plenty of room.

But IMO taking the front clip off and taking the engine and tranny out as one is the easiest. If you leave the tranny where its at, keep in mind you will have to tighten those same top bell housing bolts when you go to put it back in. Which sucks even more.. (this method is also easier because you dont have to pull the engine up as much, just slide it out)

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 04-13-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
spittybays

Cherry, " CLIP " ???

Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Oh sorry.. i mean the front end. (grille, core support, bumper)

Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
David Locke is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to determine if it's worth the trouble to take this on. I have a 2000 or 2001 4wd 4 Dr Blazer that's in pretty good shape. I got for one dollar but the previous owner says the engine and transmission are trashed. I'm not sure how you can trash them both at the same time. I figure I'll be into it for at least two grand (Minus Labor) if I replace them.
My question is sort of answer here. But Is it going to be a major pain to pull both the engine and tranny? It sounds as if maybe Pulling the clip is the easiest route...
No?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Yeah if you have to pull the trany as well then yes removing the clip is easiest. A good majority of the time it takes to pull an engine is spent taking out the TC bolts and the bellhousing bolts. So IMO it's the easiest way to do it over all but if you only have to pull the engine most people leave he tranny in

Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I bought mine with the engine seized, to get to the bolts I dropped the trans mount (left the transmission in though) and was able to get to the top bolts with a ratchet wrench.

Quick Reply: 00 blazer engine removal