Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1993 K Blazer, hard 1-2 shifts, non-PWM L460E

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member
hamlet is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 K Blazer, hard 1-2 shifts, non-PWM L460E

Like night & day. Go to work, fine, coming home, hard shift between 1st & second.
Does this every day now, every 1-2 shift. All other shifts fine, overdrive seems okay,
(hard to tell, always thought it was too steep) and all gears work when manually selected.

TPS maybe? 1-2 shift solenoid? I'm leaning towards electrical, 'cause it happened
all at once, and not slowly over time like a tcc regulator wearing out.

My '93 is all stock, except for replaced exhaust piping. 195k miles.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Does this happen after an extended drive at highway speeds? Sounds a lot like high line pressure is being commanded after sensing a slip in the TCC circuit. Is the CEL light on?

Old 07-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Transman304
Does this happen after an extended drive at highway speeds? Sounds a lot like high line pressure is being commanded after sensing a slip in the TCC circuit. Is the CEL light on?
Yes. This isn't neck-snapping, but it isn't subtle either. It punches harder 1-2 than it ever did before, warm/cold, easy or lead footed.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 AM
Starting Member
papajim is on a distinguished road

Go to Amazon and order you a valve body and install, prob solved

Old 07-02-2018, 02:51 AM
Beginning Member

[QUOTE=Is the CEL light on?[/QUOTE]

I have a single OBD1 code, 32. It's for the EGR, which I disconnected.

Originally Posted by Transman304
I took it out today for many errands, mild or no hard shifting cold, harder shifts as the day went on. Mixed freeway and city driving.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Beginning Member
WolfsK5 is on a distinguished road

what tranny is it? 700r4? If it is the 700, I would think perhaps the TV cable slipped or needs adjusted. The tension on the line controls the strength of the shift.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member

4L60E. My '93 Blazer is almost stock, Never off road, and little or no towing. Stock wheels/tires. I'm leaving now to see a buddy, 6 miles away, freeway, uphill. I'll note the performance again.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Would you have a tach in the instrument cluster? That being a really early 4L60E it will be hard to pin point over a keyboard. What’s fluid condition? Have you recently done a fluid change? My feeling is the PCM is sensing a transmission component slipping and setting up line pressure to try and preserve itself. Can you feel lockup apply at highway speeds? If so as you feel it engage, stay at a steady speed and just touch your brake pedal and see if engine rpms will raise and let off the pedal to see if rpms go back down.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, I have a tachometer. I just took a short little trip, and found that the hard 1-2 shift is intermittent after all. Does it cold and hot, but stronger when hot, & with most, but not every upshift. (accumulator piston?)

I do notice the lockup depending on how light my foot is on the accelerator, about 200rpm difference.. Next time out I will try deliberately dragging the brakes & watching RPM.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:49 AM

Very well could be the 1-2 accumulator. That year will have the aluminum piston but springs were known to break.

Quick Reply: 1993 K Blazer, hard 1-2 shifts, non-PWM L460E