Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1994 Blazer S10 4.3l will not start but ran for a little while after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Joey Douglas is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 Blazer S10 4.3l will not start but ran for a little while after sitting

My Blazer has been at my dad in law's place since last Thanksgiving we have replaced the spider injector and the spark plugs. He moved to a new place a few months ago and we haven't done anything to it except for clean the engine since and we went to do the timing on it yesterday so we had a spark plug out and when I went to crank it, it started right up, I turned it off and on 2 times after that, the 2nd time I started it we left it running for like 10 minutes, the 3rd time I started it, I went to reverse out of his driveway and then it died either right before or right as I switched it into neutral and now it won't start again, his friend thinks it might be the fuel filter, any help? UPDATE: Just replaced the fuel filter, gonna let her charge a bit then crank her and see what happens. (Continued) it started, took it down to the stop sign and back, now have oil? Coming from the back most sparkplug on the passenger (left) side, also smoked up the whole street

Last edited by Joey Douglas; 09-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:38 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Not exactly clear what your actual symtoms are. Please confirm if correctly understood:

After it died in your driveway and would not restart:

- You charged the battery again
- You changed the fuel filter
- Then it started up. Did it start correctly and "nearly" immediately as you would suppose it should?
- You took it down the street for a short ride
- "Coming from the back" I assume you have smoke from the tailpipe now? What color is the smoke? (Blue/black/white/grey?)
- Not sure what you mean with "Coming from the back most sparkplug on the passenger (left) side," Do you have oil leaking there?

A picture of an eventual oil leak could help.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by error_401
Not exactly clear what your actual symtoms are. Please confirm if correctly understood:

After it died in your driveway and would not restart:

- You charged the battery again
- You changed the fuel filter
- Then it started up. Did it start correctly and "nearly" immediately as you would suppose it should?
- You took it down the street for a short ride
- "Coming from the back" I assume you have smoke from the tailpipe now? What color is the smoke? (Blue/black/white/grey?)
- Not sure what you mean with "Coming from the back most sparkplug on the passenger (left) side," Do you have oil leaking there?

A picture of an eventual oil leak could help.
The steps are correct, it started while I was pumping the gas (same as before) the smoke is coming from the pipe the goes the short way across the vehicle in the front, it is like very light gray or white and when you are looking at the car from the front it has oil coming from the guard under the plug that is in the 1 position if the numbers are as listed below

back of car
1 2
3 4
5 6
Front

Last edited by Joey Douglas; 09-04-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:37 PM

From behind the passenger front wheel
In the dark area
Below this
From above
From above

Old 09-05-2018, 06:49 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

O.k. to close in on the problem.

You have smoke coming from "within" your engine bay?
Oil on the exhaust headers.
Your spark wires are damaged, torn, insulation rubbed or eaten away.
In some places it looks like a rodent had some fun with them.
If it is the case you had some mice or other animals feasting on your cabling you may have to check all the wires if the insulation is damaged.
Check all the hoses for damage. Check also all the small hoses for vacuum and such.

Oil leaking looks like it is dropping onto the exhaust. If it is actually coming from a spark plug that is not good.
If it is dropping onto the exhaust headers, most of the time it is from the valve cover seal.

Hard to give advice. What I would do:

Get the complete service and diagnostic manual for the specific blazer
Check on all the wiring in the engine bay
While checking, mark all connectors or take pics and make a drawing if needed, unplug, check wiring, check plug, clean, clean surroundings, put back in place. In the end most of the engine should be clean.
Ignition wires IMHO need to be replaced. Do this one by one or follow each one and mark on the distributor and the wiring which goes where.
Give all the surroundings a very good cleaning.
Check the battery, Main wires to starter and main electrical switch box. Check the main ground. (Use appropriate caution handling hot battery cables or disconnect)
Consider a full service including oil change, oil filter, air filter, v-belt after you have figured out what the problems really are.

Anybody else with ideas?

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by error_401
O.k. to close in on the problem.

You have smoke coming from "within" your engine bay?
Oil on the exhaust headers.
Your spark wires are damaged, torn, insulation rubbed or eaten away.
In some places it looks like a rodent had some fun with them.
If it is the case you had some mice or other animals feasting on your cabling you may have to check all the wires if the insulation is damaged.
Check all the hoses for damage. Check also all the small hoses for vacuum and such.

Oil leaking looks like it is dropping onto the exhaust. If it is actually coming from a spark plug that is not good.
If it is dropping onto the exhaust headers, most of the time it is from the valve cover seal.

Hard to give advice. What I would do:

Get the complete service and diagnostic manual for the specific blazer
Check on all the wiring in the engine bay
While checking, mark all connectors or take pics and make a drawing if needed, unplug, check wiring, check plug, clean, clean surroundings, put back in place. In the end most of the engine should be clean.
Ignition wires IMHO need to be replaced. Do this one by one or follow each one and mark on the distributor and the wiring which goes where.
Give all the surroundings a very good cleaning.
Check the battery, Main wires to starter and main electrical switch box. Check the main ground. (Use appropriate caution handling hot battery cables or disconnect)
Consider a full service including oil change, oil filter, air filter, v-belt after you have figured out what the problems really are.

Anybody else with ideas?
No rodent marks but the whole engine bay was coated in oil for years even before I acquired the vehicle, I agree that the wires need to be replaced, thanks man!