Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 blazer 4x4 passenger engine mount, has me beat

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
dbelcourt is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 blazer 4x4 passenger engine mount, has me beat

The freeze plug under the passenger engine mount failed.

After 6 hours, my son and I only got one of the 6 engine mount bolts off. I’m unable to get a wrench under to hold the other two nuts holding the frame side without dropping the front drivetrain.

I had resigned myself to pulling the engine out. After reading posts of the 1995 special way of getting the upper bell housing bolts by lifting the body seems a bigger project then I expected. 😳

I know it’s a bit easier with later model years but anyone replaced the passenger engine mount on a 1995 4x4?

Continue to disassemble and hope I get the mount and freeze plug replace With the engine in or bite the bullet and pull the engine?🤷‍♂️

I never imagined a $0.99 plug would require so much work. ☹️

My busted plug under an engine mount.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Take passenger exhaust manifold off. Alternator mount and starter if necessary. You can work some though through wheel well once you pull the flap back.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-14-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:42 AM
Beginning Member

Hey Les,

In the 6 hours we managed to remove the starter, inner fender well and both engine transversals bolts. I chickened out on the manifold bolts.

I can get a wrench on the mount bolts and broke them lose. Getting a wrench on the nuts holding these bolts To the frame is the major issue. We got one out but the other two are out of sight and reach. The front drivetrain mount is in the way. I’m assuming a 2x4 wouldn’t have these.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:31 AM
Beginning Member

So I took a fresh look at this and seems there is only one nut that's unreachable. The diagonal mounting arm is in the way, not even a flat wrench will reach over. I painted in red on the manual diagram.

I'm thinking removing the lower bolt of the arm might give me enough room??? To remove the upper bolt, I'd need to take the upper control arm.

Anyone gone this route?

What were they thinking???

Got the blue one out, no way to reach the red one with a strait wrench or socket.

Dropping this might get me enough wiggle room?

Old 03-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Are you trying to remove the frame mounts? Can't you jack up the engine and get the engine mount out? Frame mounts have nuts on the inside of the frame that turn IIRC.

3 bolts hold the engine mount to the engine and 1 through bolt holds it to the frame mount.

Here is the engine with the mount attached to the engine with those three bolts. Does that help any? The leaky frost plug would be behind it.

Take the mount off, carefully pry the old frost plug out, and install a new one (one that has a rubber seal that tightens with a wrench.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-15-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, seems on this model year to undo the mount, the frame half has to come out first. I don't think I can raise the engine high enough to reach the 3rd bolt with the frame in. I'm I wrong on this?

Old 03-15-2021, 04:18 PM

you should be able to get it with the right tools without removing the frame mount. Have you removed the distributor cap?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member

I forgot about the distributer. I'll recheck how much clearance I can get. Seemed the engine wouldn't go more than an inch higher

Old 03-20-2021, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LesMyer
you should be able to get it with the right tools without removing the frame mount. Have you removed the distributor cap?
LesMyer I think you saved me a couple of weekends. I jacked it and got it off. 😄. Unfortunately I had to saw the mount in two. So I need a new mount.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member

For some reason those fins got bent over the bottom bolt and had to be be bent back to get a socket in there. No way to do that with the rubber in place.

Quick Reply: 1995 blazer 4x4 passenger engine mount, has me beat