Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 5.7 cranks, no start. ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member
prairie-man is on a distinguished road

terrific !
thanks George.

I will dedicate at least part of Saturday to work through the list of things to check/verify. I really want to nail down a root cause.

Will report back on Sunday. I really appreciate the efforts you have made to help me - so cannot in good conscience; simply purchase a replacement PCM.

have a great evening George.

Brad

Old 10-14-2022, 10:23 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Glad to help.

George

Old 10-23-2022, 09:24 AM
Beginning Member

good morning.

sorry to be silent for so long.

the house building project consumed 100% of my time and energy over the past week.

I worked on the truck last Sunday. I retested all the wires going to the CKP with good results, but was not able to test CKP output while cranking the engine. Was able to verify continuity of the white wire from the ICM connector to the PCM connector, but did not verify power at the PCM end of the white wire.

I made the decision to replace the PCM on Wednesday after a very long day at the build site. I found numerous used PCM's at local salvage yards for 40-50 bucks, but learned the PCM needs to be reflashed so the truck accepts the new organ. I also found a company that sells refurbished and tested PCM's that are reflashed with the truck VIN and thus: guaranteed to be 100% functional and ready to install. 160 bucks shipped.

as they say: go big, or stay on the porch. I bit the bullet, loaded the cannon and went for the reflashed PCM. Should be here late this week. I will report the good (or bad) news after installation without delay.

here is a picture of the construction project and the truck in the shop.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran

I hope this fixes your problem. Let me know if you need any further help. Yes, engine computers are flashed to your configuration. There are perfect donors out there but there but it has to be a perfect match, like blood type.

Nice looking home.

George

Old 10-28-2022, 06:44 AM
Beginning Member

good morning.

a brief update, before I head out to the construction site.

my PCM is back ordered due to an overall surge in demand for the "boxes" this company provides. I have plenty of work to do on the house & shop, so am not discouraged by a delay to get the truck back on the road.

have a great weekend !

https://www.fs1inc.com/

Old 10-28-2022, 08:25 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the update, when you finally get your new computer I hope this does the trick.

George

Old 11-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

home construction is moving along thanks to warm and dry November weather in south central Indiana.

still waiting on a replacement PCM to be shipped.

have a great weekend !

Old 11-16-2022, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

wow. I lost track of time. Home construction consumes 100% of the time I am awake. Days spent nailing boards, evenings on the computer. No regrets - having the time of my life.

I have been enjoying unseasonably warm and dry weather - until last Saturday, when it turned cold. Today was miserable. I need to increase my layers of clothes to combat the current winter weather. But I digress.... I have a story for you, George.

Flagship One shipped the part and I received it about a week ago. When I accepted the parcel from my mail carrier - I laughed out loud because there was NO WAY the envelope contained a GM truck pcm. Too light (weight) and too small (3/4 scale pcm) Opened the package to reveal a shiny aluminum box with a couple wire harness ports. NO IDEA what make, model or purpose this thing was intended. No data plate, nothing. Immediately called them to explain the situation. Great customer service - they emailed a return label. A little frustrating but I understand - they couldn't ship a pcm until they received the silver box from me. I received a pcm on Monday. Carefully disconnected all the harnesses from the old, and re-connected to the new pcm. Turned the key.....

guess what George - the truck didn't start. You were right. I was wrong.

Looking at the big picture: getting this truck to start and run is my least concern right now - I am focused and working very hard to build a house & shop

so...this officially puts the truck on long term hold. When I move into my new shop, I will thoroughly enjoy the challenge to isolate the issue.

Some good news: one of the reasons we moved back to South Central Indiana - is to solidly reconnect with friends we have known since grade school - and one of them them threw me a life line 3 weeks ago. Mike heard about me being without a truck and has visited the construction site a few times. He owns a business and sold me a beat up shop truck at a very cheap price. That truck is saving me and our construction project.

Last edited by prairie-man; 11-16-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the update and good luck with your project. we are here if you need us.

George