Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 chevy blazer s10 4L60E transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 04:21 PM
Bill37 is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 chevy blazer s10 4L60E transmission rebuild

I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer that I intend to keep for my lifetime (I am 84 years old)
Over the last several years, my transmission has slipped after driving in hot weather for several hours. After the engine cools down and driving short distances, I do not experience this problem. Occasionally, I visit my son, who lives about 300 miles from home. When I go this distance, I experience this slippage in hot weather. I am afraid that it may get worse and I will have engine failure.

My auto mechanic, who I have had several years and is reliable, has recommended that, if I want this problem solved, to have a transmission rebuild. I believe he said the cost would be about $2,300, and it would come with a limited mileage/time warrantee. He advised me to keep driving it as it is and, if the problem worsens, consider a rebuild if I wish to keep the Blazer. I want to keep it.

Some input, comments, and advice, please. Should I choose to rebuild, I have enough money saved for it.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member
JessenU is on a distinguished road

I think a rebuild would be your best bet, would you be doing it yourself? Or taking it to a shop for the servicing? The parts for a rebuild range from 600ish all the way up to 3000. Depends completely on the quality of parts you get and any upgrades along the way. I highly recommend a shift kit and removing the soft shift check ball as those are the most common for starting a trans to slip.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JessenU
I think a rebuild would be your best bet, would you be doing it yourself? Or taking it to a shop for the servicing? The parts for a rebuild range from 600ish all the way up to 3000. Depends completely on the quality of parts you get and any upgrades along the way. I highly recommend a shift kit and removing the soft shift check ball as those are the most common for starting a trans to slip.
Thank you for your input. I only do minor work (body, switches, etc.) on my Blazer. I am in no way qualified or now able o work on transmission problems. I forgot to mention that the last time I had the slippage I got a transmission 1870 code. That is when my mechanic recommended I continue to drive as is and then if problem reoccurs, to consider a re-buld.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member
JessenU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bill37
Thank you for your input. I only do minor work (body, switches, etc.) on my Blazer. I am in no way qualified or now able o work on transmission problems. I forgot to mention that the last time I had the slippage I got a transmission 1870 code. That is when my mechanic recommended I continue to drive as is and then if problem reoccurs, to consider a re-buld.
I agree with your mechanic, but I look at it differently in the way that if you end up on a steep inclined hill and your trans goes out and slips when you try to climb you have a tow bill on top of the rebuild price. Just another thought, totally your call, I’d be rebuilding it.
On another note, have you tried adding some Lucas transmission fix to the fluid? I had major problem with my transmission slipping when I would pull out to pass on the freeway. I put a bottle of that stuff in there and haven’t had any issues since.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:40 AM

Thank you again. I haven't tried the Lucas transmission fix, but I will. I am moving towards a transmission rebuild.