Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 tranyy problem / questoin

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member
gmc97jimblaze is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 tranyy problem / questoin

hey , i have a concern i would like to sort out.

I was reading through this : https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-articles-diy-29/4l60e-information-common-problems-compilation-37689/

But i failed to see my problem. My issue is that when i shift from park, neutral or reverse to drive it take about 5-8 sec to catch the gear . Like i can press the gas after i put it into drive and the rpm will go up then after 5-8 sec the tires will spin

It shifts normal after that point but..when i get to last gear it will not go past 2k rpm and i think the max speed i ever got was 100km

on a side note i dont think it will go into passing gear because when stomp on the gas to pass rpms drop and has no power

I have no codes or a mil on

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it do this every time you move from park/neutral/reverse to drive? If so, it likely is the forward clutch piston seals leaking past. Sooner or later, this will leave you stranded with no forward gears. Bad part is, that is inside the main guts of the transmission...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member
gmc97jimblaze is on a distinguished road

yes this does this all the time no matter what

what are my options rebuild ? new tranny? or used one ?what would be best im not made of money and i could properly swap it out my self how hard would it be i dont have the maual for my truck but i will get one if it covers how to do it

does anyone have a link on how to swap one out for a new one online? i tryed google but no luck

in a 1997 i would have the 4l60e transmission ?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

(D) Any of the above.

As far as the best goes, a quality rebuild will last the longest and should be cheaper than a new/rebuilt replacement. The cheapest option would be to pick up a used transmission.

You have the 4L60E. Get one from pretty much any year so long as it is a 97 or newer! A 4L60E from a v8 powered fullsize truck will have more clutches in some of the clutch packs for better hold.

As far as a walk through goes, search around here. I'm not sure about pictures, but there are a lot of discussions on doing this with some helpful tips!