Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 Blazer 4x4 tranny question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Blazer 4x4 tranny question...

Tranny just went on my Blazer. I know it says to use 98-99 tranny only on Car-part.com. But does anyone know if I can use 96/97/00/01 trannies? Ir can I swap the internals from a 2wd into my 4wd???

Need to know ASAP!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, they have not changed anything all the way up to the latest usage of the 4L60E that would prohibit you from using it. Connector diagrams show the same pinouts all the way up to 2001 from my research (haven't checked the newer ones).

I wouldn't suggest going older though. Improvements have been made along the way to make the transmission more reliable.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM

I need this fixed tomorrow night. So im in a bind to find one ASAP. Found a 98 with 230 000km. But I dont want to run into the same issue in 50 000km. I have a 2wd tranny with 120 000km on it. But I dont know if I can switch the innereds....

Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont quote me on this but im pretty darn sure that they are identical exept for the transfercase. but IDK if theres any gearing issues.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 PM

New question...
Is all I need to do to a 2wd tranny to make it 4wd is remove the rear tail shaft? I have 2 people saying they are easily converted(they are selling new rebuilt ones). Cause I have a 99 S10 2wd tranny with 120 000km sitting there collecting dust.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM

ok...So im picking up a 98 4x4 tranny with 138 XXXkm in 2 hours for $500cnd. At least ill have a 90 day warranty with it.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's good.

And to answer your question from yesterday, while it is true that the only thing you need to do is swap the tail shaft to change a 2wd transmission into a 4wd transmission, that act alone requires gutting the transmission!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 PM

They got the tranny out, and pulled the pan... FULL of shavings...so now im saying screw it. Leaving in 1/2 hour to go pull my tranny. Ill be dropping it off with the 2wd tranny at a local great tranny shop to swap the shaft. Im going to get them to install a B&M shift kit, tranny pan drain, and tranny temp gauge too. 200-300 total labour. But at least they can do it right, and they will know if there is something wrong with the new tranny.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Got the tranny rebuilt today. Put the stage 2 B&M shift kit in. Only a couple hundred to pull apart the 2 trannies and build 1 with the shift kit. Tomorrow night ill take some pics of me putting it all back together.

The clip that holds the gears in at the tail shaft broke. Causing catastrophic failure.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Now I understand why shops charge a lot for this... Pain in the ***. I didnt take pics unbolting it, but I will putting it back in.
Whats all involved:
Unbolt skid plates
remove drive shafts
disconnect battery
disconnect all electrical plugs
disconnect all vent lines
Unbolt starter, move to side
unbolt inspection cover
unbolt torque(word honda owners may not know of) converter
raise tranny to clear cross member
unbolt cross member move forward and unbolt tranny mount
remove mount and cross member
unbolt transfer case from tranny adapter and remove
HERE is the ****ing tricky part...
unbolt tranny from engine. the top 4 bolt are extremely hard to get.

You are also supposed to remove the exhaust Y pipe, but anyone who has worked on a Chevy V engine knows that that can be a pain in the ***. Usually requires new manifold studs. About 3 hours to remove taking my time.

Now one little clip and washer is what destroyed my transmission. The clip and washer are gone completely, but her is a pic of the gear that got screwed up.

The parts from the blown transmission:

The rebuilt transmission:

Transfer case:

New transmission vs old one:

After the transmissions out, and drive shafts.

Ill have more pics of the install either later tonight or tomorrow.
Still to install as well is the transmission temp gauge and single gauge pillar.

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer 4x4 tranny question...