Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 Blazer still ticks....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
98huntergreenblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Blazer still ticks....

Ok so here we go again. My 1998 Blazer 4.3 4X4 is still ticking. I checked the valve adjustment on the passenger side, since that's where the noise seemed to be coming from, and the valves were all adjusted to spec. After doing some research, I found that it could have been the EGR valve needing a cleaning. I went ahead and replaced that and it still ticks. I have no idea what to try next.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member
Ogre762 is on a distinguished road

Is it a constant ticking or random? Does it speed up when you rev the engine? If it's constant at idle, and speeds up when you rev it, you may have a dead lifter. Sometimes you can throw some seafoam or another oil additive and get it to pump up, other times you have to replace them. It could also be one of the accessories like the water pump, alternator, ps pump, or AC. Get a stethoscope or a long 3/8"s extension and put your ear up to it and touch different spots around the engine, if it gets louder, you're getting closer.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member

It's a constant tick at idle. It sometimes speeds up at acceleration, sometimes it doesn't. So I'm thinking a bad lifter? Or could it be a worn down cam lobe?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Could it be the PCV valve? that ticks pretty loud when it goes bad. But its on the driver side. I dont mean to ask the obvious lol.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

I forgot to mention it starts ticking when it starts to warm up. Its fine the first few minutes of being started up. I haven't thought to check the pcv valve. I'll probably wind up replacing it lol.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, so I replaced the PCV valve, and the ticking still hasnt gone away. I'm gonna try the seafoam and see if that does the trick. My only question about the seafoam is do you have to add it every oil change, or can you do it with one oil change and cure the problem? Thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member

It's not the valves! It's an injector. I used a stethoscope and checked all the valves. It didnt have any noise from the valves, so when I put it on the intake I heard it clear as day from the passenger side. So I guess all I gotta do is try sea foam in the gas tank and throttle body and see if that cleans it up and frees it!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I never heard of an injector ticking.You have poppet injectors inside your planem they are not mechanical.Maybe the noise you heard is a dead lifter.If it is.Do an oil change and subsistute a quart of oil with marvel mystery oil.It will pump it up and silence the ticking.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
spittybays

Don't mean to Hi-Jack but Jimmyowner, do you run with that mix till next change?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member

Spittybays, I think the mystery oil works like Lucas, but better

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer still ticks....