Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Starting Member
sunfleur is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Conundrum

Hello All!
I am new to this forum so bear with me. I have a 1998 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 with 155k miles on it. I had the engine replaced at a Chevy dealer in 2007 (faulty repair seized my engine). Shortly after, gas prices skyrocketed and I bought a Honda Civic for my commute to work (40 miles one way) but kept the Blazer. I also kept the Blazer hoping to move back to the mountains where it snows a lot over winter. Years went by and I finally did move back to the mountains Sept. 2014. While moving, my transmission seemed like it was slipping going up hills and as I was heading into the mountains, the engine overheated. I towed it to the town I was moving to. Mechanic said the reservoir tank for the radiator cracked and he replaced it along with the radiator. I told him that my transmission wasn't acting right, either and he said he wasn't an expert in transmissions so I would have to take it to someone that was (pffttt). Spent $250 at a tranny shop to be told I need a new tranny $3k. Ok, this car has been garaged practically it's whole life and kept very well taken care of. It has barely been driven (the Honda was wayyy too convenient and cost-effective in the city). I don't know if I will run into more problems after forking money for a tranny. If I get it back off the mountain to repair, I can save $1200 and I am planning to tow it to save the $. My question is this: Are there other issues related to the car sitting most of the past several years I don't know about to put more money into the car? I have been told seals dry up (the Blazer does leak a little bit). The car has now been sitting since December (2014)...Have I ruined this truck from lack of use since 2007? I drove it to keep the battery going but there were times I would let time go too long and have to jump it. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.