Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 oldsmobile bravada engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Starting Member
Brandon Alexander Lebron is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 oldsmobile bravada engine swap?

Hi i just bought an oldsmobile bravada , engine blown. Im wondering what engine i could swap instead of putting the 4.3 l vortec... . id like more than 190 hp. So what would fit on the awd ?

Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

Most people will tell you to put an LS engine in it. It's a good swap with plenty of power and a huge aftermarket, and there's no shortage of information about a swap like that.

There are ways you could increase HP with a 4300 Vortec motor. One thing is to use headers. Pro tuning lab has short headers for the 4300, which were originally designed for the models with secondary air injection, but you could cap those ports and use them on a non air model. That would free up a few HP, because the engine won't have to work as hard to get rid of exhaust, and it'll also reduce knock retard.
Yours also has two catalytic converters (California emissions, mine is the same way) where one is in the y pipe, the other right behind it. Unless you live in California, you can just get the y pipe with no cat. You'll still have the one cat so you can still pass federal emissions, but with less back pressure, the engine can more easily get rid of exhaust. It'll also give you another 1-3 mpg.
One other mod is the injector upgrade (also plenty of info about that on this site), which not only makes the injectors more reliable, you also get a little more from them in terms of efficiency.

Stick around, this place is awesome. You'll learn a bunch.