Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 SLS blazer Transfer case adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member
Andy Gump is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 SLS blazer Transfer case adaptor

My first post!
I should and will be looking for the service manual but in the time I have remaining, is it easier to leave the transfer case adapter on the transmission when pulling the transfer case.
Or is it simpler to leave it off the transfer case as it comes out.
Changing the seal in the transfer case!

Over the years this forum has helped me quite a bit just searching for answers and just reading the wealth of knowledge found here.
Thank you in advance

Old 12-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, yes leave extension housing bolted to transmission and remove transfer case.
Brad

Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Transman304
Welcome, yes leave extension housing bolted to transmission and remove transfer case.
Brad
I did just that, have to set up a jack and take out two bolts in the morning, the easy ones : }
Thanks for your reply! Transman304;729603]

Old 12-10-2020, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member

Transman304 I did remove the extension housing after the transfer case was removed.
I was wondering if the output seal on the transmission was accessible, it is not. From what I now understand there is a port that squirts fluid from the transmission on to the shaft the transfer case seal is in contact with, the seal fails due to heat and that fluid bi passes into the transfer case and blows out the vent. My initial intention was to change that transfer case seal.
That is what I could find, right or wrong I need to find out?

OK, if that is the case, then how does the fluid get back into the 4l60E transmission?
I sure don't want to put this back together being this far in if the transmission will need service to stop the leak.
At this point pulling it once may be required?

At 70 years old this is getting to be work rather than the enjoyment I have been use to all my life wrenching. As a kid I was amazed at the sound of the ratchet in the hands of a mechanic, got to close and got bit!
Many Thanks

Old 12-12-2020, 07:48 AM

The transfer case and transmission are separately sealed units. The input seal on the transfer case also serves as the output seal of the transmission. If you look at the new seal it is a double lip seal. The transmission fluid makes its way through a failed seal due to pressure differing between the transmission and transfer case. Any questions please ask.
Brad

Old 12-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member

The transfer case and transmission are separately sealed units. The input seal on the transfer case also serves as the output seal of the transmission. If you look at the new seal it is a double lip seal. The transmission fluid makes its way through a failed seal due to pressure differing between the transmission and transfer case. Any questions please ask.
Brad

Brad - So far so good need to locate the adapter plate square O-Ring towards the transmission the seal and gasket five hole 4 wd.
Thank you for your reply
Tom

Old 12-13-2020, 06:33 AM

Fel-Pro #72769 gasket
AC Delco # 24208660 square cut seal

good luck
Brad

Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member

Fel-Pro #72769 gasket
AC Delco # 24208660 square cut seal

good luck
Brad
Brad, I Sure glad I looked at the mail this morning Saved me from a possible mistake, buying 'unknown to me' brands.
Thank you

Old 01-19-2021, 05:08 AM
Beginning Member

Transman304 - Thank you
Things went well on Part 1, I have decided with the mileage on my rig it was time to junk it or fix the transmission.
What the heck, I decided to take in as much information as I could on the 4L60E and it looks doable so I am in it for the long haul.
It has been raining in the here in the Pacific North West but I am determined to finish this job correctly by rebuilding the transmission myself. Always wanted to see if I could and it doesn't look that hard but for getting the old one out.
Cleaning the case is what worries me the most, I may not have someone local to tank it!
Can I get away with doing the cleaning myself?
Such a great truck 1998 Jimmy SLS
Thanks again

Old 01-20-2021, 07:16 AM

You are very welcome, glad to help. Get a workshop manual and look it over so you kinda know where parts are located and what to look out for. Familiarize your self with theory and principles of each part. Not a bad first unit to build and very DIY doable. I’m going to say this and take it as you will, don’t shop for transmission parts by price. As far as cleaning the case you can do it easily with some degreaser (I like Zep brand) and hose, pressure washer. Just rinse parts very well with clean water and compressed air to help dry. I’m here to help but the fastest way to get in touch is through email. ottomaicswv@gmail.com.
good luck
Brad

Quick Reply: 1998 SLS blazer Transfer case adaptor