Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2.8 to 4.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009 | 11:39 PM
|
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2.8 to 4.3 Swap

I have a 1984 S10 4x4 Blazer, manual transmission, with a 2.8L Carb engine.
I want to swap to a 4.3L Engine.

Now i'm told this has a different bell housing, being a manual transmission I can just unbolt the bellhousing off a transmission mated to the 4.3 and bolt it the my transmission. Am I correct on this? Even though some may just suggest swapping the transmission, COULD it be done this way?

Aswell, the 4.3 has a throttle body injection, it is possible to swap intakemanifolds to put a carb on it. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2.8 to 4.3 Swap

You would have to source a carbed manifold to move over to a carb on the 4.3, but you are correct. And yes, you can source a bell housing for the 90* V engines.

If I were going through all of that trouble, you can rest assured that I would not be dropping in a 4.3L v6...

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:32 AM
|

Swapping a bell housing and intake manifold does not seem like any trouble to me.

What do you mean "source" a carbed manifold? And "source" a bell housing?

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

"source" == find, buy, etc...

You cannot just move the intake manifold over from the 2.8L v6 as it is a 60* motor while the 4.3L v6 is a 90* motor. So you would need to get a carb manifold specific to the 4.3L v6.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:07 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah if you were doing all that work you might as well put a 5.7 in there. unless your using it as an everyday car.

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately GM had carb'd 4.3L in fullsize trucks so you should be able to find one, might not be easy, or you might be able to order one from your local autoparts store.

Old 02-24-2009 | 09:49 PM
|

I planned on buying the intake manifold brand new along with a carb for it.
The bellhousing and engine I can find pretty easily.

Its not really all that much to swap a bellhousing and intake manifold. However there are ALOT more issues putting a 5.7 in it. Besides mounts and clearence issues, I would probably break something. And its not as common as a 4.3 swap, and well, as far as I know 5.7's don't come in similiar blazers. ( Or blazers at all. )

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Prozon

I planned on buying the intake manifold brand new along with a carb for it.
The bellhousing and engine I can find pretty easily.

Its not really all that much to swap a bellhousing and intake manifold. However there are ALOT more issues putting a 5.7 in it. Besides mounts and clearence issues, I would probably break something. And its not as common as a 4.3 swap, and well, as far as I know 5.7's don't come in similiar blazers. ( Or blazers at all. )
I understand what your saying, however you have some things mixed up a bit.
You still have to change the engine mounts for a 2.8L to 4.3 swap, and it is the same modification you have to make to drop a 5.7 into your truck. What you will break would be that manual tranny if you dropped in a V8. If you had the auto tranny it would hold up and if not you could have it rebuilt to hold up for little to no extra money. The rest of the drivetrain willhold up just fine to a 5.7 provided your not driving like you stole it for very long. The 4.3L is not a common swap, the 3.4L is a common swap because the 3.4L is a 2.8 bored out to make 20% more power.The 3.4L is a factory replacement for the 2.8 and will drop right in with no modifications except for the fuel system (carb or injectors). Blazers did come with a V8 from the factory, just not the S10-Blazers. The full size Blazer came stock with V8's.

I understand, the V8 swap will be more work and cost more money. The 4.3L is appealing, however it wont be cheap either. Honestly your best option is the 3.4Lswap. Donor would be Camaros, Firebirds with the 3.4L V6 engine option. It will be more common that you think.Call your local salvage yard.

Here is a Wikipedia write up on teh V6 engines.
Check out the section on Longitude engines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine

Old 02-24-2009 | 11:55 PM
|

I have to admit, I do drive things like I stole them.
I'm already lined up with some engine mounts for it from my buddy if I need them.

I hadn't even considered a K5 blazer for the V8 thing. Mainly because they look totally different and have nothing in common but the name. :P Haha.

Will the 3.4L bolt up to my 2.8L transmission? Thats the biggest concern I have really, I don't want to swap the transmission. And honestly I don't know how long i'll keep this rig. Initial plan was to swap the engine and make a profit. (Got it for $100, straight body/drivetrain) Except for the engine. Crankshaft problem.

If it comes down to it i'll throw in another 2.8L, put a new coat of paint on it with some tires and sell it for what its worth.

Old 02-26-2009 | 07:28 PM
BF Veteran

Yes the 3.4L will bolt up to your tranny and so will all the asseccories. It is a direct replacment swap.