Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2 ?'s. Air in coolant, tranny codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 ?'s. Air in coolant, tranny codes.

I have been trying to deplete the air out of the coolant system for quite some time now. Going to a steep hill and parking the passengers side tire on the curb took most of the air out but not all of it. That temp gauge would fluctuate drastically before I took some of the air out but now just slightly. Is is supposed to be parked on the hill cold and idle until it is warmed up to operating temp? Is the cap supposed to be on or off during the process? All data doesnt have any procedures for doing this and I cant seem to find any on the internet. If someone could tell me step by step how to do this that would be great because i cant stand to see the gauge move up and down any long.

My tranny has been acting up for quite a while now. It seems like its in limp home mode because it wont shift into 1st or 2nd, it just stays in 3rd. Frustrating when trying to accelerate from a dead stop. Here is what i have noticed. My tranny would run perfectly fine until The SES light comes on and then the symptoms stated above start to happen. Limp home mode will occur when im coming off a stop, cruising at 70, coming to a stop, basically any time it wants to. Also when I try to shut to truck off during limp home mode the ignition will not turn all the way to off. It stops just above it, and i can barely slide my key out or in. When I turn the truck off during limp home mode for about 15 minutes the truck runs perfectly fine after that until the symptoms show up again. Doing some research off the internet and all data there is a couple of possibilities. Bad or dirty connector, faulty sensor, bad alternator, insufficient pressure, or ignition switch(TSB found on all data related to the 4l60e tranny). The DTC's are p0740(tcc circuit fail), p0753(shift solenoid 1 electrical), p0758(shift solenoid 2 electrical), p0785(shift timing solenoid), p1860(tcc pwm solenoid circuit). Just recently dropped the pan, replaced filter and the 4 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid. It ran fine for about a week after that and then the symptoms started to re-occur. If the pan isnt tightly seated will that cause a pressure drop? The voltage is at 14 or slightly higher then that on my gauge.

Any questions please ask.
help greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have always done it in my driveway with a few jack stands. You do not need much elevation of the front of the truck or difference side to side to get it bled out. I usually will lift the front about 10" and then an inch or two difference side to side. I then let the truck idle up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off.

It is odd that you cannot remove your key while you are experiencing this issue as there should be nothing that restricts this due to the conditions you are experiencing.

Here are the code sheets:
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 - Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P0785 - Shift Timing Solenoid
P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit

Chances are good that all of these codes are related. I would look into either a connection issue at the transmission, or a ground issue for all of these solenoids.