Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4.3l no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM
bghobbs is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4.3l no start

I am working on a 2000 blazer with a 4.3L engnine. It was running well but was giving me a code P0340 which indicates a cam sensor cuircit problem. I replace the sensor and found w broken wire to it that was preventig it from getting any voltage. I now gets 12 volts to the sensor and has a good ground. I also replaaced the rotor. Tried starting the truck and it will sputter/diesel for a few seconds and than die. With the key in the on posistion the SES light is on but has no codes. The battery light stay on as well. I have a fully charged battery. I have also checked for spark from the coil and it is good.

I have also checked the crank position sensor and have 12v and ground to it.
What could be the problem.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
hans109h is on a distinguished road

Check the pressure of the fuel system. Sounds like a weak fuel pump or fouled injectors.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bghobbs
I am working on a 2000 blazer with a 4.3L engnine. It was running well but was giving me a code P0340 which indicates a cam sensor cuircit problem. I replace the sensor and found w broken wire to it that was preventig it from getting any voltage. I now gets 12 volts to the sensor and has a good ground. I also replaaced the rotor. Tried starting the truck and it will sputter/diesel for a few seconds and than die. With the key in the on posistion the SES light is on but has no codes. The battery light stay on as well. I have a fully charged battery. I have also checked for spark from the coil and it is good.

I have also checked the crank position sensor and have 12v and ground to it.
What could be the problem.
Cam sensor won't prevent the engine from running. You can disconnect it completely and engine will still run.

If you have spark from the coil then the crank sensor is not the problem.

But did you pull the distributor out when doing repairs? If so, I bet you have put it back in the wrong position.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Cam sensor won't prevent the engine from running. You can disconnect it completely and engine will still run.

If you have spark from the coil then the crank sensor is not the problem.

But did you pull the distributor out when doing repairs? If so, I bet you have put it back in the wrong position.
I did no pull the distributor, but I did replace the rotor. Tried using starter fluid and it still will not start, so I do not think it is the fuel pump.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hans109h
Check the pressure of the fuel system. Sounds like a weak fuel pump or fouled injectors.
do not have a fuel pressure gage handy will try to do it Monday. Did try using starter fluid and it would not start.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Try unplugging the cam sensor. Shouldn't matter, but who knows! Otherwise go back and take a good hard look at the rotor - compare with the old one.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Put a fuel gage on it. Pressure is 58psi in ON position 64psi while cranking. Replaced crankshaft position sensor. Did not help. Replaced distributor cap. No help.
not sure if it matter, but when cranking the engine the tachometer jumps all over the place.

Last edited by bghobbs; 07-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Beginning Member
hans109h is on a distinguished road

You might want to try putting the old rotor back on and check your results. Did you triple check that your spark plugs wires are in the correct order?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Tried old rotor and checked plug order still no just diesels
tested to verify that it is getting signal from ignition control module and it is good.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Big'n is on a distinguished road

Mine did the same thing. Changed cap rotor. Cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump and coil plugs an wires. It was the damn ignition control module the whole time

Quick Reply: 2000 4.3l no start