Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4wd engagement issue-Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 06:19 AM
Beginning Member
TheZR2ThatCould is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4wd engagement issue-Please Read

I have a 2000 dr 4wd Blazer and I have tried Neutral, Drive, and park engaging the 4-hi and low and they “engage” (it clicks) but it only works as 2wd and slides around. Winter has already started and I can not figure this out. All replies are appreciated!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Hi , is it a 3 or 4 button system?. If the encoder motor is engaging the Tcase than you will have to check why the front diff is not locking....possible vacuum related . I once seen a 3 button that would engage the Tcase and the switch lights were solid not blinking but the diff would not lock due to a disconnected hose at the the vacuum reservoir behind the drivers fender.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

The front axle is engaged fully when vacuum is supplied to an actuator that pulls on a cable so that the axle is engaged. The hoses that supply vacuum to this system along with the HVAC system will rot over time and allow vacuum to leak. When this happens, there is also often a simultaneous issue with the HVAC air delivery operating oddly; e.g. when the engine is under load the air will change from being directed to the windshield to the instrument panel vents.

Another failure point is the transfer case control module (TCCM). This is a small box of relays that can go bad which lives behind the right kick panel. This should click whenever the transfer case is sent a new setting; e.g. 2Hi to 4Hi, 4Hi to 4Lo, etc. When the TCCM is in the midst of failing, it will often click a lot. However, it can fail with no clicking what-so-ever.

To address the vacuum system, I'd refer you to the link to the thread at the bottom of my signature (below) in which I described replacing the vacuum hoses on my 4-button (Auto-4wd) system. For the TCCM, do a search of the forum and online for videos on how to check and replace them. For the TCCM, some have reported an issue with the electrical connectors becoming corroded.

Good luck and be sure to report back what you find.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member
TheZR2ThatCould is on a distinguished road
Default *fixed

Originally Posted by christine_208
The front axle is engaged fully when vacuum is supplied to an actuator that pulls on a cable so that the axle is engaged. The hoses that supply vacuum to this system along with the HVAC system will rot over time and allow vacuum to leak. When this happens, there is also often a simultaneous issue with the HVAC air delivery operating oddly; e.g. when the engine is under load the air will change from being directed to the windshield to the instrument panel vents.

Another failure point is the transfer case control module (TCCM). This is a small box of relays that can go bad which lives behind the right kick panel. This should click whenever the transfer case is sent a new setting; e.g. 2Hi to 4Hi, 4Hi to 4Lo, etc. When the TCCM is in the midst of failing, it will often click a lot. However, it can fail with no clicking what-so-ever.

To address the vacuum system, I'd refer you to the link to the thread at the bottom of my signature (below) in which I described replacing the vacuum hoses on my 4-button (Auto-4wd) system. For the TCCM, do a search of the forum and online for videos on how to check and replace them. For the TCCM, some have reported an issue with the electrical connectors becoming corroded.

Good luck and be sure to report back what you find.
Thank you so much! Your first suggestion was the issue. I didnt have as much directing HVAC current up as I did it varying in power. The actuator was in fact ripped (its thin rubber thats vacuumized so thanks GM) and I replaced it below is a picture of how minor of a rip can change your vehicle!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheZR2ThatCould

Thank you so much! Your first suggestion was the issue. I didnt have as much directing HVAC current up as I did it varying in power. The actuator was in fact ripped (its thin rubber thats vacuumized so thanks GM) and I replaced it below is a picture of how minor of a rip can change your vehicle!
Your picture did not come through but none-the-less I'm glad when others can benefit from what I learned the hard way. LOL

BTW, you might replace all of your vacuum hoses while are at it so prevent headaches later.