Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 Blazer 4.3 top end rebuild - suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer 4.3 top end rebuild - suggestions wanted

I'm going to redo the top end of my 2000 Blazer's 4.3 engine. 1-5 cylinders have 120lbs, #6 has 50lbs of compression... so I'm betting on a burnt exhaust valve.

I plan to plane the heads a few thousands to true them up, replace any valvetrain parts that need it, and gasket match the intake ports on the intake and head.

I was thinking of what else should be changed or repaired while I'm this far in... so far all I can come up with is the thermostat.

What other things would you change, look at or repair while you're this far into a 4.3?

Also, do you have any recommendations on gasket brands, or other stuff? Is there a "deemed best" sparkplug? I've read a lot saying AC Delco, but no part number or heat range.

thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Since the heads will be off have a 3angle valve job done also.Get the good set of felpro gaskets.Since you will have the planem off I would upgrade to the new style of injectors also.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Starting Member

Im not familar with the "new style injector". Tell me more?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

might as well do the exhaust ports too.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Starting Member

Do what to the exhaust ports? gasket match them? Or flow them somehow? I have NO idea what headwork a 4.3 wants or needs... but I do have a die grinder and not afraid to use it

Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

first off,you're in spartanburg! Which is about 45 minutes from me. If you need some help let me know. I'm no pro at this mess,just seen enough of it.

You can gasket match both of of em and polish them as well. shave a little off the heads and depending on how much mullah you wanna invest you can buy roller rockers,etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Starting Member

Thanks Chris! I dont want to (Cant! already too deep in this thing) spend any more than necessary, and I'm not looking to build it into a hot rod... just the best performance and longest life span I can get out of it. The truck is in great shape overall, it just doesnt run 100%. I figure with the top end rebuild and misc other stuff (alt, starter, water pump etc) over time I can get another 100k out of it. (It's at 147k right now)

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rumblur
Im not familar with the "new style injector". Tell me more?
Its the injection system that came out after 2000.They are cheaper than the mfi and inter change.They elemininate the poppet syle injector system

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Starting Member

where would I order it, and would there be anything else to change or is it a straight bolt-on? Does it come as a "kit" or will I have to piece it together?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

I believe the "new style" injector setup jimmyowner is speaking of is off of vehicles with VIN "X" engine codes. The injector spider is very similar to the regular setup, and bolts right in place, no mods or special parts necessary. The difference being that the injectors are moved to the end of the hard plastic fuel lines on the spider, instead of in the body of it. The "old" style uses spring loaded poppets that open when the injector pressurizes the line, and I have had 2 of these that liked to leak. There is very little, to no difference at all in price from the local auto parts store, but either one is going to cost $300+. I would go with the new style injector spider as jimmyowner said. It's just a much better design.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer 4.3 top end rebuild - suggestions wanted