Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 blazer 4wd 4.3l problem after intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
jakehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer 4wd 4.3l problem after intake gasket replacement

I replaced the upper and lower intake gasket on this 2000 blazer 4wd, everything went back together right, no left over bolts or nuts, i have spark, timing is correct, but it will not start on its own, i have one wire that i cannot find where it goes at the junction on the wiring harness after the MAF and intake air temp sensor(going from right to left starting at the fuse box under hood). Name:  4d46aa48.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  102.1 KB

The truck will start and idle, but theres a catch, i have to put fuel in the throttle body, the fuel line has pressure but not as much as i think it should have. So im assuming this 1 wire i cannot find where it connects is my hangup. any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A/C clutch maybe???

Did you test fuel pressure with a gauge?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
necropenetrator is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh there is a plug that goes on the back of the a/c compressor and the front

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah...check the ac unit.
i would swing it out in its radius and look for anything withen reach that needs a connection.
Quick sweep might find it.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Starting Member

the ac compressor is a round plug this connector will not fit there. both compressor plugs are plugged in. I did not check the fuel pressure with a guage. The valve on the fuel line going to the upper intake( cant think of the name of it at the moment), i pressed in the ball valve and the pressure coming out is not that of what i have ever felt coming out of that valve, what im saying is the pressure is seems too low to be normal, it doesnt feel right. it should spray out of there with a decent amount of force, but its more like that of bug spray instead of a solid pshhhhhhhh. haha. needless to say i know im not getting enough fuel, im getting fuel but not enough. the connectors for the idle control, throttle body, and all things inbetween are different than this plug

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Starting Member

i have looked all around in the circumference that this wire can reach, no bare plug ins. My friend that is ASE certified, went through automotive at a university, and works at a dealership is even baffled, his only possible explanation is there is a plug only accessible if the upper intake is removed. before i take all of that apart I would like to explore some other options.
Symptoms:
idles fine, runs fine, if and only if i put fuel in the throttle body out of a gas can.
Will not start, or run, but will crank, and try to fire under its own fuel supply
There is fuel going to the engine as proven by checking the valve on the fuel line
But not enough fuel is being supplied
That 1 wire has to be the culprit because everything checks out but that, unless im missing something

Last edited by jakehawkins; 08-23-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On your 2000, there are no electrical connections inside the plenum.
I can guarantee the connector has nothing to do with fuel pressure.
What color are the wires on the connector?
Best to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and test it. Been doing it for years and still can't tell the difference between 40psi and 60 psi with my fingers

EDIT: If you have a "W" engine that has not had the fuel injector upgrade, and fuel pressure is less than 40psi, the nozzels will not squirt fuel.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-23-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Starting Member

Im betting youre probably right. but i dont think theres even 30 psi. The kid whose truck im working on did say that every now and then it would cut out. so maybe the fuel pump is **** and just went out before the truck got to my house. but either way, im gonna check it. I'll have to get back to you on the wire colors, its dark now

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
georgew8714 is on a distinguished road

that wire is for the temp sensor thats mounted in the drivers side cylinder head between cylinders 3 and 5

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Beginning Member
ewarma is on a distinguished road

look for a connection just below the drivers side head

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer 4wd 4.3l problem after intake gasket replacement