Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Gas Mileage Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM
junger888 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Gas Mileage Help

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and its also a 4 door. I just had the engine replaced and I am looking into some engine upgrades. Before I was only getting about 16 miles per gallon and I would like to increase that as much as possible. I am thinks an ignition system, what is a good ignition system? Also how about a cold air intake? What are some other engine mods and upgrades that would help with my gas mileage? I am in serious need of help!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

The best mod would be to get your PCM tuned. A CAI doesn't help any unless you live in a dry climate like a desert so don't buy into it like i did.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 PM

What PCM Tuner would you recommend?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Aeromaster is on a distinguished road

Im getting up to 21 mpg on stock 4.3 engine 2000 4x4 blazer in warm weather casual driving. What kind of milage are you looking for? My winter mileage drops to below 19 average. BTW still running original engine with 275,000 miles.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:28 PM

i would be happy with 20mpg

Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

As far as upgrades its like tossing money in a lake and hoping it will return. Marginal gains at best and will take forever to recoup the investment. I would agree to a ECM tune, new plugs and keep the RPMs below 2700, No jack rabbit starts and drive 70MPH or less on the hiway...

Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by junger888
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and its also a 4 door. I just had the engine replaced and I am looking into some engine upgrades. Before I was only getting about 16 miles per gallon and I would like to increase that as much as possible. I am thinks an ignition system, what is a good ignition system? Also how about a cold air intake? What are some other engine mods and upgrades that would help with my gas mileage? I am in serious need of help!!!
IMHO, 16 mph isn't anything abnormal. That's right around what the car is rated for. I agree with the first response regarding CAIs. They're a gimmicky waste of money. If they were a magic gas saving, horsepower creating machine and only took some tubing and a cone filter, you would see them on all cars coming off the line. If you look on youtube, there are some test videos where they dynoed cars with and without CAIs. They even put a giant air cooling fan at high speed right in front of the car, and ran the intake hose right to the fan, and received nothing but negligible differences. My advice? You'll end up dropping several hundred dollars on an ignition system and a CAI and if you DO get any gains, they will never save you as much in gas $$$ as they cost to buy them. BTW, what'd they charge you for the engine removal and install if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Increase the efficiency of your powerplant. Wait for me ig a goot ecm tune . The nex is to reduce the load of the vehicle. According to the chevy performance manual aerodynamic resistance is the highest load at anything over about 20 miles per hour. The best way to increase aero is to remove all the stuff hanging off the body; that meansno roof rack , no fender flairs , no roof or fender lights, and especaly no big mud tyres. The manual continues with the suggestion of lowering the vehicle as much as possible, with a slight rake and a chin spoiler. This will lower the effictive frontal area. The next best way to increase vehicle efficiency is to lower the trucks weight. Weight reduction is threentimes as effective at the wheel. This means no 31 inch tires .

Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM

@ iamchevyman5
i have heard that CAI are great on a Blazer??? my dad made a couple of phone calls to a couple of ppl we knew and total for a new engine and labor its gonna be like $1400. thats way better than we first expected which is great!!!

Last edited by junger888; 06-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM

@ LeWhite
thanks for your help! i however wanted to do everything you just said was not good. lets say i do all of that with prob 33in tires how bad would my mpg be now? any idea

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Gas Mileage Help