Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 blazer fires up a little slower

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question 2001 blazer fires up a little slower

Hello to everyone, I haven't been in here for a few months, I've been driving the hell out of my little blazer.......I started planning a colorado mt. pass trip when my wife informed me that the blazer was taking more than one turn to fire up, [after 46 years, she knows to tell me any little thing that is different]

she was right..at times it fires in a half turn and sometimes it takes four or five.........something is going wrong.....

I have ordered new plugs [ac 41-993] and delco cap and rotor..........I don't know if that will fix the problem, but at 133k, I don't think any of that has been changed.........i bought it with 120k

I will put the new stuff in.....because then i will know when it was done, but i am wandering about fuel pressure and fuel pump,,,,,,,,,,,I will have to rent a pressure gauge, unless they aren't too pricey to buy...

the engine runs smooth at idle with ac on and in gear......and on the road too.....

does this sound like a fuel problem......???.......

Old 07-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Yes. Hard starting and long crank when cold are symptoms of a fuel system problem. No codes present make it the first place I'd look. Harbor freight sells a test kit for $20. Mine and other members have leaked where the gauge connects but a little teflon tape on the threads seals it right up.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Starting Member

thanks Rusty.....I'l go hook up my tablet and see if i have any code problems......

Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Starting Member

I scanned for codes and i came up with a p0302.....misfire #2 ??........and the service light came on [i have never had it come on since i bought it].......It is now running rough at idle...and i don't want to try it on the road.........seems like something is going to hell fast.........will get a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow or monday........

Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Yes. Code p302 is a misfire on cylinder #2. Since you're changing the plugs, cap, and rotor a new set of quality spark plug wires will complete the ignition tune up. That should clear up the misfire code and may solve the hard start. If it still has the long crank, then investigate the fuel system.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Starting Member

plugs wires rotor and cap are the easy stuff..........I've been doing a little research on that code and there could be 20 or more other problems causing it .........

this little blazer has run without a burp from 120k when i bought it, to 133k......i haven't done anything to it but oil and grease.....and filters.....so i just can't think anything serious is wrong......we shall see........

I have to wait a few days for parts,so I think I will experiment a little with fuel pressure.....that is something new to an old shade tree mechanic.....maybe I'll learn a something new........:-)

Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 PM
billsliv is on a distinguished road

i've been battling a P0302 error for a while on my 190,000 mile 1999 Blazer. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor didn't fix it but probably needed replacing anyway. It frustrated me so much I bought a new car.

Recently, decided to get it running again. Battery died while procrastinating. Fuel pump died while testing. Battery and pump replaced but the P0302 persists.

Got a obdii scanner and learned the O2 sensors work. But the fuel trims between bank 1 and bank 2 were vastly different. It appears the car's computer is trying to add a lot of fuel to bank 2 (23.4%) and subtract a bit from bank 1 (-2.4%). Misfires on cyls 1-6 were: 1, 48967, 4296, 2, 0, 0. My diagnosis is a stuck closed injector on cylinder 2 and a sticky injector on cylinder 3. My new multi point fuel injector spider will be here in 2 days.

EDIT: First post after > 4 years a member.

Last edited by billsliv; 07-29-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Starting Member

I sure hope that I don't have to go that far.......I planned on fishing and mountain passes for the next two months..........I guess I'll have to trade the fishing pole for a wrench....

good luck on your job.......

Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Starting Member

so far,, maf looks very clean, and i have good spark to #2 plug......no evidence of fuel in the oil....

I'm not going to pull the plugs until i get the new ones.........I'm sure I will be cussing the engineers for their cramming job before long......pulling #2 plug wire was a job...can't wait for the rest of them :-(......

I have a harbor freight 35 miles away, I'll call them to see if they have any fuel pressure
kits in stock......if not I'll see if my napa store will lend or rent one.....at any rate, I will do the fuel pressure test next........I really do have a feeling that the fuel pump has gotten weak.......because this problem only began a couple of days ago.......it was running great up till then....and has gotten progressively worse since....... I remember my pickup having pretty much the same symptoms and the fuel pump and filter fixed it,,,,,,,

Last edited by don james; 07-30-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Starting Member

i got a gauge kit [not the best but it showed pressure]....harbor freight was the only place within 50 miles that i could locate one....I will finish these tests and than evaluate the kit.....i had to use plumbers tape on the gauge threads and tighten down as much as i could without breaking the gauge.....I was wondering ......but i finally got the fitting to stay dry......

It is raining here and i have my impala in the garage and the blazer under the shade tree ;-)

in a hurry i hooked the gauge up and started the motor and got a 55 psi max.......it has bled down to 15 psi in 10 min.....when the rain quits i will jumper the pump and check again.......at this point though, it looks like i will have to do a connection at the filter to see what happens there......

rain quit........I had my son jog the ignition switch 3 or 4 times until the pump stopped........each time the gauge read 60 psi.......but the leak down to 55 psi only took 1 minute....so in the morning I'll hook up to the filter........

I have 75 lbs at filter and and bleed off is at 65 lbs. after 20 minutes.........so i conclude that the fuel pump is ok.....

I will try another test at the shrader valve .....i'm getting a bleed down to 50 lbs. within 2 minutes.......same as before.......should i conclude a leaky injector......???? and is there an external fix for an injector.....ie...seafoam??

don't know if anyone is reading this but, it does me good to write it out.......;-)

Last edited by don james; 07-31-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 blazer fires up a little slower