Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 BLAZER in limp mode. Replaced both shift solenoids still doing the same thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Scott Regier is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Transman304
You have a overdrive transmission. 4L60E -4 speeds-L longitude-60 series-E electronic controlled. Hope you get some answers.
S10's with overdrive have a circle around the D icon on the instrument cluster. And of course you can feel it go into overdrive and the RPMs drop.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Ok bud, good luck with the repair of your blazer.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Default Limp mode update

Originally Posted by Transman304
You have a overdrive transmission. 4L60E -4 speeds-L longitude-60 series-E electronic controlled. Hope you get some answers.
Took it to a great mechanic. No codes. Could not really say the problem. Took it to AAMCO today. Did not initially understand that I had replaced the solenoids. Mechanic drove it around was able to manually get it in all 4 gears. Wanted to keep it overnight to pull the pan and look around, probably at the electrical. It was working fine until I replaced 3 quarts of fluid without a flush so I really don't know about the validity of coincidence of changing the fluid culminating in an electrical malfunction. When I did change the solenoids by dropping the pan I did not touch any electrical other than for the solenoids.
Diagnosis = AAMCO guy said 95% new (rebuilt) transmission with labor for $3300. I can get a rebuilt for $670 with a 3 year guarantee. I think I will start there and seek out the labor.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Did you happen to do anything else on your truck the day you changed your fluid? Specifically anything with/around the throttle body? The trans uses inputs from the Throttle Position Sensor and if the TPS got damaged/shorted/etc it can put the truck into limp mode.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 PM

No. Did not touch the throttle body.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member
press1280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scott Regier
Took it to a great mechanic. No codes. Could not really say the problem. Took it to AAMCO today. Did not initially understand that I had replaced the solenoids. Mechanic drove it around was able to manually get it in all 4 gears. Wanted to keep it overnight to pull the pan and look around, probably at the electrical. It was working fine until I replaced 3 quarts of fluid without a flush so I really don't know about the validity of coincidence of changing the fluid culminating in an electrical malfunction. When I did change the solenoids by dropping the pan I did not touch any electrical other than for the solenoids.
Diagnosis = AAMCO guy said 95% new (rebuilt) transmission with labor for $3300. I can get a rebuilt for $670 with a 3 year guarantee. I think I will start there and seek out the labor.
is that a local place that is giving you a rebuilt tran NY for 670? Im still looking at my options. I was quoted 1800 for the whole job to rebuild and install and I need to find cheaper or else I'm likely to call it quits.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:33 AM

I was quoted 3200 to 3900 for a rebuild. I don't think so!
if you Google got all auto parts you can read reviews. The ones from the BBB aren't all that good. But they do a lot of business so you're going to get some gripes no matter what.
JEFF MADISON
GOT ALL AUTO PARTS &
A TRANSMISSIONS
989-891-9212
989-891-9293
100 S. River Rd.
Bay City MI 48708

Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member
McCormick_4723 is on a distinguished road
Default Wire

I had the same issue with one a few years ago turned out to be a broken wire on the harness down to the tranny

Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Default Wire

Was the wire down to the transmission or inside the transmission harness? There were no OBD codes. Aamco offered to drop the pan for $280 to be applied to the $3267 if I need a new transmission. I guess it would be money well-spent if it was just a wire but I certainly would not pay parts and labor for their rebuilt transmission.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I would just get a rebuilt one or one from a junk yard and swap it myself. Not that hard just time consuming

Quick Reply: 2001 BLAZER in limp mode. Replaced both shift solenoids still doing the same thing