Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 Blazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Beginning Member
Darla Smith Garrett is on a distinguished road

2001 Blazer 2wd. Since August 2011 have replaced idle air control, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, rotor cap and button, ignition coil, ignition control module, cam position sensor. The last thing changed was ICM and it ran great for about 1 1/2 months. Last night, there was hesitation when accelerating when I first drove it. Drove it for 10 miles to the store and it did fine. Drove it home and no problems on acceleration. Got in this morning and it wants to start, sputters, and dies. I don't know what else to change! Please help!

Just wanted to add, it is not just clicking, it is turning over and sometimes will just about start then dies.

Oh, and strong smell of gas!

tried it again this afternoon and tries to start but just can not get going.

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-16-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

See if you can locate the strong gas smell, if you've changed the fuel filter my next guess would be fuel pressure regulator or fuel injection module. If your gas smell is coming from the front this would support that. Shine a flashlight down in your throttle body into the intake and look for fuel or gold colored residue, if you have this, it is likely one of the above mentioned.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, going to look for that. In the meantime, just to make a note, I can hear the pump come on and turn off. So, hoping it is not the pump.

Ok, turned switch on without turning engine over. Gas pressure was above 60 psi. When switch turned off, pressure immediately dropped to 55 psi. Fuel pressure regulator?

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-16-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

id say probably, id check it a few more times tho (I'm adverse to spending money) to verify. key it on to build up pressure and then turn it off and leave it for 15 minutes of so and note the pressure.
"4. A fuel system that drops more than 14 kPa (2 psi ) in 10 minutes after being relieved to 69 kPa (10 psi ) indicates a leaking fuel pump check valve."
this comes from the FSM-via swarts 96+ fuel system check

Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
war00 is on a distinguished road

yup check the fuel pressure as stated above, you can also pull off the upper intake and see if the manifold is washed out with fuel (shiney) depending on where its washed out could be regulator or injector lines.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member

Will check the pressure again as suggested. The more I research and get feedback, the more I am thinking it is the fuel pump check valve. That means I need the fuel pump module assembly, right? I will get back with the pressure results this evening. I appreciate all the feedback!

While waiting for my husband to get home so we can check the fuel pressure for a longer amount of time, I decided to just see if the Blazer would start. IT STARTED RIGHT UP! What's up with that? Wonder if it that security problem I have seen on some threads.

Ok this is what is happening. Yesterday I was letting the pump prime before turning the key over to start the motor. I usually don't do that, but for some reason did yesterday. Today, I did not do that, I just turned the key all the way and it started right up. I decided to see what would happen if I let it prime first. If I let it prime first, it will not start. Any ideas?

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-16-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

Now it is starting with or without priming and running better. Did a pressure test. 60 psi on starting and running 50 - 55 psi. 50 psi when turned off. After 10 minutes still 50 psi. After an hour it has gone up to 53 or 54 psi. I guess no leak. I did put Marvel Mystery oil in it Monday. May have had a small blockage somewhere and Marvel cleaned it out, not sure. All I know is that it doesn't seem to have a leak and it is doing much better. We will see.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If you happen to take the manifold apart and see alot of gas I would chack the spider inside and make sure its not leaking.You could also have plugged up injectors inside.The marvel mystery oil and or seafoam should clean them out.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

I just took it out for a drive and the acceleration is great. I think I did have clogged fuel injectors and the Marvel helped them out. If it happens again I will have to go in further and check under the manifold for gas. I hope (since it held pressure and the pressure actually increased over a 3 hour period) that a leak is not the case. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.