Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2001 Blazer 4.3L V6 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Starting Member
topshelfsauce13 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer 4.3L V6 will not start

I have a 2001 Blazer 4DR 4WD 4.3L V6 that just will not start. A little back history I am active duty military so i travel a lot. I took this to Europe and back to the US. Once back in the US i let it sit for a good while. Didn't even mess with it. I did get it started and drove it around for a bit. Then winter hit and i did not drive it. Let it sit for approx. 3 months and now it will not start.

In order for me to attempt to start it I have to jump it with my other vehicle. Based on this i took the battery to have it tested and it works just fine, it just needed to be re charged. It seems like the battery is not holding the charge at all. While jumped i attempt to start it, it will crank and sometimes act like it wants to start but it just won't go. After trying over and over the engine cranking, then it will start to click. I will stop for a bit and it will go back to cranking and still not starting. Once i pull the cables off the battery it goes dead again........Not sure what it is, i just want to diagnose it so i can fix it. And not have it towed somewhere.

(my father seems to think it needs a new distributor, but i'm not sure. Want to make sure i fully understand whats going on with it before i spend the money)

I really appreciate anyones help on this.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM
SheRocks is on a distinguished road

It could be your alternator. You can take it off and take it to an automotive parts store and have them test it.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:07 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

even with a bad alt. it would still start up - If you are cranking it over for long periods at a time you are over heating the starter and drawing more power from the jumping vehicle in essence you are running down the battery in the jump vehicle faster that the alt in it can recharge the battery - also the alt in the jump vehicle is trying too charge two batterys at once - do a search here on fuel pressure testing and check to see if you are getting the right fuel pressures as these vehicles are really picky on pressures - most part stores that have loan out tools have the tester you can use