Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2004 Blazer 2DR 2WD Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
dukester1351 is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 Blazer 2DR 2WD Transmission Issue

My dad and I have recently purchased a 2004 Blazer with a few issues. It was bought at an auction without looking at it first... Never again....

Along with other starting issues (Won't turn over, we think it needs a new starter), the major issue we're having right now is getting it to shift out of neutral. My friend suggested something about a neutral control switch, but I'm not familiar with what it does or how it inhibits shifting. We understand to shift out of park requires the brake to be pressed, but we don't know where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So you can shift from park, through reverse, and into neutral, but no further? Will it go back to park? Have you inspected the shift cable for signs of damage and that both ends are in proper working condition?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

The transmission feels like it is in neutral with the shifter in 'Park' position? Vehicle still rolls? Indicator on dash or shifter shows that it's in 'Neutral'?

I've never seen under an '04 Balzer, so hopefully I get something right with this.

If it is in fact stuck in 'Neutral', that would explain your no-start. Just climb under and pop the skift cable off the shift arm on the transmission. If you push the arm towards the front of the vehicle it should be in 'Park'. As long as the indicator on the console or dash shows that you are in 'Park' and the vehicle starts, you have ruled out the starter, shifter position switch, and various other things that can cause the engine not to turn over. That only leaves you with finding out why it will not move out of 'Neutral' by means of the shifter.

I confused my self writing that so hopefully it gets you somewhere.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 AM
dukester1351 is on a distinguished road

To both of the above, it is STUCK in neutral. It will not shift away from neutral and the shifter indicates the neutral position. And yes, the vehicle is does roll. We've been parking it via it's E-brake for now. And as for starting, I was under the impression that you could start a vehicle while it was in neutral. If not, I'm not worried about the starting issue, it's what we have to do to get the vehicle to shift.

good call on removing the shifter cable though, at least to see if the trans will allow a shift into park and bypass any shifter problems. I'll have to try that when i get some free time.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Duh, you're right. I got called into work and have been up since about 9am yesterday. Sorry about that.