Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

305 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Back Atcha is on a distinguished road
Default 305 swap

We recently inherited a 94 blazer that previously had a 327 in it. I have a 305 and a 350 ready to drop in it's place (the 327 is now in a corvette), but I'm unsure about the wiring and computer. Are there any other issues that might be speed bumps to getting this thing moving again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on what the truck had for a fuel system before (likely TBI) and what you are looking to go to. If all of the engines you are looking at are TBI, everything should bolt up.

What year are the engines you are looking at swapping in and what are the fuel systems involved?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Really depends on what the truck had for a fuel system before (likely TBI) and what you are looking to go to. If all of the engines you are looking at are TBI, everything should bolt up.

What year are the engines you are looking at swapping in and what are the fuel systems involved?
The 305 is out of an 87 Caprice. I'll have to check into the rest tomorrow morning. I'm just now beginning to stick my nose into this project. Most of my experience is with 70's BMWs, so this is new territory.

So if I have TBI there is nothing I have to do with the computer? I yanked the chips on a computer that was on a V8 just in case.

Because the 4.3 was removed and replaced with the 327 before we got the truck, I'm unsure if it had TBI. I'll check with my mechanic on the details and get back to you.

Thanks for your time...

Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM

Ok, here is what I know so far. The 4.3 was obviously a vortec with TBI. The tranny is electronic, so I'm guessing the 327 was TBI as well. So aside from six gray wires in the harness that have been clipped, everything should plug up?

The other issue we're having is that the 5 quart oil pan is preventing us from mating the engine to the tranny as it is hitting the tranaxle housing, and needs about 1.5 inches more clearance side ways and upwards. Would the 4 qt pan make the room we need, or are we going to have to modify the pan we have to fit?