Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

3rd and 4th disapear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3rd and 4th disapear!

So... I got this tranny out of a J/Y for 75$ the truck it was on was @ 167000. I have put about 8000 miles on it. It has always had a slow first and second gear (slippin) but it started acting up recently, were 3rd and 4th wouldnt engage or "wobbled" back and forth between the two. I figured what the hell, its dieing so I put some slip-stop in it, (bad idea apparently) now a couple of days later and on my way home tonight, third and forth were hard to get to if at all and finnaly on the last leg home I was going 20mph at 3500 rpms. I was gentle as I could be (dont need a blown motor too) but not much of a choice! soI been lookin around and see a few people say having there filter clogged caused similiar things, and fluid change and filter change solved it. I wondering whats the chance the slip-stop washed all the crap into my filter and its simply clogged? Now I know this tranny is toast, but I am wondering if you guys think its worth attempting to just change fluid/filter, or screw it and figure out how to get one(I have two that now seem to have the same problem)of my trans rebuilt? I am a broke *** college student, I need Ideas fellas. I found a guy that will do a HD 4L60E rebuild for 850$ (I dont want the crappy standerd rebuild, not if I havta rebuild anyway!). So input? thoughts guys? should I spend money on a f/f change or just save it for a rebuild. P.S. I am going to have to rob an old lady to get this money so keep yo grand mammas inside! jk! Help!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 3rd and 4th disapear!

The only thing to clog a transmission filter is the transmission wear parts. You could try a filter swap, but do it yourself to save money. Should not cost you all that much to try, but I would not expect a miracle.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Yah, i had planned on doing the F/F change myself, but being as I live in an apartment with a "no working on cars in the parking lot" rule, and the change usually makes a good size mess I'm trying to way the pros cons of doing it. besides the fact that it will take proly a whole day to do the change as I will have to imprevise on how to get the pan down and out without jacking her up. Its doable, just a pain in the butt!

P.S. It's funny every place I call for a quate on the rebuild is like "bring the truck down for a testdrive", lol. I have no 3rd and 4th, lol, This truck aint movin without a tow lol. I'd like to keep my engine, lol

Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 AM

UPDATE: So I pumped out some tranny fluid today to take a look...

Its black, like midnight in the woods in the bottom of a canyon with no moon BLACK. So Im skipping the F/F change and going straight for the rebuild of my other 4l60e, I am supposedto get a call when they crack it open and tell me what is toast in it. Chances are it is as bad as this one, but being as it is a rebuild itself I am hoping it already has some perfectly good HD parts in it.