Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member
Radar696 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3L Spark Plugs

Just looking for a little feedback on spark plugs.
I'm not looking for anything special just what most consider to be the recommended brand and plug number to purchase.

I'm thinking that the AC Delco #R44LTS6 is the basic choice?

I already have a new set of AC Delco wires and the rotor and distributor caps have been replaced recently too.
I just need to put the final touches on the tune-up.

Radar

Old 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

It will cost more up front, but I would suggest at least stepping up to some Platinum plugs, Iridium if you can, and sticking with AC Delco brand of coarse

The ONLY time I've put basic copper plugs in anything is when I was trying to make said vehicle run just that much smoother because I was trying to sell it lmao. Well, and my old 2001 Corolla that burnt so much oil that it would foul out even the best plugs every 5k miles...

I've been running Iridium Delcos in my 04 for 4 years now, AC Delco part number 41-993, and they have been phenomenal, never given me any issues. They average just above $5 a plug, so yeah not the cheapest by any means, but it's not like you're changing them every oil change either...

Pretty sure the ones I pulled out were original from 2004 too lol

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 08-22-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

The iridium and platinum ones have a long life. Copper ones perform the best, but don't last as long. At $2 vs $7 each, the copper ones were good enough for me. 30K so far in my Blazer. Yes, that is the correct P/N for the copper spark plugs to fit a later model Blazer.

p.s. Also, I have never found a good enough reason for me to use full synthetic oil (except in transmission of my race car where a loose converter and trans brake generates a LOT of heat) - sometimes cheaper is good enough and really makes no difference for a vehicle driven in normal situations. Manufacturers always come up with their reasons why we should pay more for the same thing which we MUST now use.

On spark plugs, read this: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...op-performance

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
The iridium and platinum ones have a long life. Copper ones perform the best, but don't last as long. At $2 vs $7 each, the copper ones were good enough for me. 30K so far in my Blazer. Yes, that is the correct P/N for the copper spark plugs to fit a later model Blazer.

p.s. Also, I have never found a good enough reason for me to use full synthetic oil (except in transmission of my race car where a loose converter and trans brake generates a LOT of heat) - sometimes cheaper is good enough and really makes no difference for a vehicle driven in normal situations. Manufacturers always come up with their reasons why we should pay more for the same thing which we MUST now use.

On spark plugs, read this: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...op-performance

I put the copper AC Delco's in my 4.3L and it ran smooth and strong.
Figure I would put the iridiums in because, well, more expensive is better right?

Wrong, I noticed right away the difference. Just didn't have the smooth power curve like the coppers. Went back to the coppers and I love it.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:29 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a set of AC Delco iridium plugs on Ebay for $26 with free shipping, and there's a rebate of $3 per plug going on right now, which brings it down to $8 for the set. Let me see if I can get the link for you.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zenith
I put the copper AC Delco's in my 4.3L and it ran smooth and strong.
Figure I would put the iridiums in because, well, more expensive is better right?

Wrong, I noticed right away the difference. Just didn't have the smooth power curve like the coppers. Went back to the coppers and I love it.
I'm running platinums in my 02, and they currently have about 40k on them in an engine that has about 230k on it, and it runs smooth as glass. Just fyi.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

The computer keeps timing based on the resistance of the factory ac platinum plugs. It was a big deal when they came out because they can last 100,000 miles. I stuck with platinums and indexed them.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM

I wouldn't think anyone could notice any significant performance difference between new copper, new platinum, or new iridium spark plugs in a second gen Blazer.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
The computer keeps timing based on the resistance of the factory ac platinum plugs.
Hmmm.... I would be interested in knowing how the resistance of the factory AC platinum plugs figures into the timing.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-04-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Tuned, programmed, It's the basics from reading a long Captian Hook post on the importance of using factory parts.

Quick Reply: 4.3L Spark Plugs