Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E/700R4 things I've learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Alright looking for some help on a 05' 4l60e. Just did a transgo shift kit w/ new corvette servo. Trans shifted well for about 500 miles then after driving in OD @70mph for 30-40 miles then exiting ramp to a stop trans would no longer go into OD. All other shifts feel fine (Rev,1-2, 2-3) just no OD. I did notice will go into OD on downhill roll with no accell on gas pedal but once given accell goes to 3rd. Could the 2-4 band be too loose? I left 2-4 servo shim out thinking shim was too much. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

It's possible the 2-4 pin is not the proper length. But if you did not change the input drum from factory diameter I doubt it needs adjustment. So far I have not had a problem and just reused the pin. Not saying it's not possible though.
Have you checked fluid level? Going by this the only thing that happens is that the FWD sprag releases. Where did you get your shift kit from? I put in a modified Transgo kit for my 700r4 and didn't exactly follow the directions and 2nd hits hard enough to break loose with 4.11 gears/posi as low as 2000rpm. It's easy enough to pull the servo you could try it with the shim and see what happens.

Attached Thumbnails 4L60E/700R4 things I've learned-4l60echart.jpg  

Last edited by TZFBird; 09-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM

If the 2-4 band was too loose I wouldnt have 2nd gear either right? I cant seem to find much on 4l60e with no OD. What puzzles me is that it worked for a good 500 miles from doing the shift kit and then I lost it.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM

I wish I had put all these pictures in when I started this thread.

TMM217, I would agree with that statement which is why I said it was more of a leak or loss of pressure. There is an inner and outter piston for the servo. So it would be possible for one piston to move its full length of travel and not for the other.
If you look in the upper left you'll see the 2-4 servo. Notice the line for 2nd gear going in and pushes on the lower piston to apply the band for 2nd gear. From below is the 3rd accumulator which releases the band during the 3rd gear shift. Then the fluid applies the top piston during 4th gear to apply the band again. I would guess something went wrong there. You can pull the snapring and the cover off to check it out. Be sure you pick up a replacement cover o-ring before you do it though. I've been able to reuse one once but I think I just got lucky.

Attached Thumbnails 4L60E/700R4 things I've learned-2013-02-08_172028_110618095.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Double post.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Alright took a look today and found the servo cover lip cracked about an inch. No leaking and snap ring still there luckily. Found the 4th piston nylon ring rolled over too. Cover would not move in on removal and pin and assembly was in tight. Any clues to what went wrong? I removed all servo and replaced this time with gold spacer from transgo kit and new nylon seal. Drove and all seems well again. Im just worried the case is gonna crack more till ring wont hold any longer.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM

The lip on the case or on the cover? If it's the cover you can probably just pull one off a returned core at the local salvage yard. If it's the case you might be alright. I'd guess the cover was installed at a slight angle which caused the seal to roll and the hydraulic pressure was higher at that point which caused that area to crack.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM

So how does the cover get angled with snap ring installed. Thats what I was thinking but I made sure cover was in by using prybar against floor to compress cover a few good times to make sure ring wouldnt pop off. Im gonna remove cover again when I get a chance to see how the 2nd seal on the 4th piston looks after a few miles that I have driven since finding this situation.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
bgtrckr is on a distinguished road

Hi all, New member here. Working on 89 chevy truck, k1500 700r4 trans. Does anybody know how many sensore are in this thing and what the continuity of each should be?? I want to be sure every thing is as it should be be fore driving it. Not sure if it has a thermal or heat switch. Any help would be great. 65,000 on rebuild. THANKS

Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM

There are only 4 wires to the valvebody. These are one for each of two pressure switches(one is for 4th gear, not sure about the other) and two wires for the torque converter lockup solenoid. Otherwise there is a two wire connector at the VSS on the tail of the transmission. I do not know off hand what the resistance of the converter lockup should be but it is either going to work or not. The VSS is going to be putting out a voltage which the ECM and gauge cluster uses. I'm not sure if there is a resistance or way to test it but I'm sure with a little searching you can find out.

Quick Reply: 4L60E/700R4 things I've learned