Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E/700R4 things I've learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
bgtrckr is on a distinguished road

Thanks TBIRD for the help. I"m guessing the VSS might be the cause of my prob. The truck wont accelerate over 50 mph with out giving it a lot of gas, and this is after the service eng light comes on. ( the comp doesnt show any codes) The manuel says the VSS is on the transfer case. The TCC solenoid tests fine. Your thoughts are welcome!!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
schrack is on a distinguished road

Was wondering if TBIRD might be able to help me. My gf has a 97 Blazer that is stuck in first gear, no codes, spedo works fine. Was very delayed shifting at times before this sometimes 3-5k before shifting to 2 gear. Caused me 2 spin rod bearing, which has been fixed now. When my 97 jimmy had problems it threw enginge codes & replaced all solenoids at tranny shop, did not fix, turned out to be my ignition switch. Hers has a new one installed, so i know its not that. Reverse works fine. I can work on engines, but dont know much about transmissions, any help appreciated, since i will be paying for it. Thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 AM

89 chevy truck with 350 eng. New issue, theres an L shaped fitting on the back of the motor directly behind the intake manifold, it has a small sensor on it and a two wire plug. I found a pic of this in my book, but nothing said about what it is nor is there anything about what its function is . It right behind the distributor. My mech says its the oil pressure sensor, but thats located by the oil filter. Any help PLEASE??

Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

camshaft position sensor. I think

Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Newguy, thats more than anybody else has come up with. If the distributor is one tooth off will it run bad or not?? I put a new dist in, set the timing, and when I start it the idle is about 1050rpm. when warmed up, idle wont go down to 750 rpm where it should be. Also has a slight miss. One prob after another
Thank You!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by schrack
Was wondering if TBIRD might be able to help me. My gf has a 97 Blazer that is stuck in first gear, no codes, spedo works fine. Was very delayed shifting at times before this sometimes 3-5k before shifting to 2 gear. Caused me 2 spin rod bearing, which has been fixed now. When my 97 jimmy had problems it threw enginge codes & replaced all solenoids at tranny shop, did not fix, turned out to be my ignition switch. Hers has a new one installed, so i know its not that. Reverse works fine. I can work on engines, but dont know much about transmissions, any help appreciated, since i will be paying for it. Thanks
I've been getting lucky by guessing at problems up to this point.
I suppose if you've verified voltages and sensors and the solonoids are good, the only thing I could think of is a leak in the 1-2 hydraulic system. It sounds like the problem come on slowly by the way it was described, it might be more of a mechanical issue such as the hole in the 1-2 accumulator piston gets worn out and leaks. Besides that maybe a stuck valve in the valvebody. Just throwing ideas out there at this point.

Last edited by TZFBird; 10-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 PM

Any help please?? I set the timing on my 350 89 chevy at o btdc runs smooth but idles a little high. Once warmed up it wont idle down untill I put it in gear then back to park. What would happen if I disconnected the cam pos sensor while I set the timing?? Feed back please!!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 AM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road

bought a 99 zr2 knowing it had a transmission problem. symptoms are the truck will move and drive in 1-2 but when it goes to third or overdrive it just revs up. reverse works fine also. from description above it sounds like it's about done. i have access to a 2001 trans and was wondering if that would work or would the computer need reprogrammed for to work right? would it just change the shifting points or not work at all unless it was reprogrammed? any help appreciated.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=specialty8;603120]bought a 99 zr2 knowing it had a transmission problem. symptoms are the truck will move and drive in 1-2 but when it goes to third or overdrive it just revs up. reverse works fine also. from description above it sounds like it's about done. i have access to a 2001 trans and was wondering if that would work or would the computer need reprogrammed for to work right? would it just change the shifting points or not work at all unless it was reprogrammed? any help appreciated.[/

Solenoid

Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 AM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

[QUOTE=newguy;603123]
Originally Posted by specialty8
bought a 99 zr2 knowing it had a transmission problem. symptoms are the truck will move and drive in 1-2 but when it goes to third or overdrive it just revs up. reverse works fine also. from description above it sounds like it's about done. i have access to a 2001 trans and was wondering if that would work or would the computer need reprogrammed for to work right? would it just change the shifting points or not work at all unless it was reprogrammed? any help appreciated.[/

Solenoid
So your saying it is the solenoid on the transmission that is in it now? I sure hope so!. Where is it located under the pan? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 4L60E/700R4 things I've learned