Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E Rebuild Difficulty?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Finally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4L60E Rebuild Difficulty?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've had a 98 4 Door 4WD Blazer for a few years now and the thing has ran like a bear up until yesterday. I go to shift in reverse, and it's like it's in neutral. 2nd and 4th are gone too, so it looks like that "super heavy duty" (yeah right) sun shell that GM used has gone to pieces. I worked in a repair shop for about 4 years but never did any major trans work, but I want to see if rebuilding my trans myself would be an option. I mainly want to do it to save my father some money since it is his truck. And it would be a great learning experience, too.

I looked around and saw that Rick Metzing put out a DVD rebuild video for the 4L60E, and from what I can see it has great reviews. Would that along with a good rebuild manual enable me to do it in a reasonable amount of time?

Oh and what rebuild kit do you suggest?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4L60E Rebuild Difficulty?

Tim (hanr3) went through this exact problem in THIS THREAD. Should give you some ideas as to the difficulty level.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 PM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

it could be the linkage..mine got loose and i thought i lost park,but when my shifter said it was inreverse it was in neutral and i couldnt get it ot park...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

That thread was the first thing I looked at while searching on this forum. I doesn't look so bad, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. And I want to see if there's anyone out there who's done it by themselves.

As far as that linkage goes, I doubt that's the problem if I lost 2nd and 4th. And I definitely felt a slight jerk and then nothing when it went out.