Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E Rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
The Slacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4L60E Rebuilding

Hello folks, I'm a little new here but I have a 1994 S-10 blazer that has been kicking butt for awhile until now. The transmission is crapping out on me and I would love to be able to rebuild it in my dorm before I get a full time job for the summer. I'm interested in people's opinions on rebuild kits. I only found one thread of a man who rebuilt one. TCI makes a kit for $276. I have seen a few for $145. I am NOT looking for something high performance. I want the cheapest one that won't crap out on me.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4L60E Rebuilding

Welcome to teh site.

In your dorm?
It will take you two weekends to remove and reinstall the tranny alone.
A pro can rebuild it in about 3-4 hours. However he has all the tools, knowledge, parts, and space for it. This is something you cannot do out in the open. If you dont an inclosed garage/room, dont even consider it.

The trannsmission is the most difficult thing on the vehicle to rebuild. I HIGHLY recommend at least two books and a tranny pro. get the ATSG (professional version), and Haynes rebuild manuals. Then find a tranny pro to make the mods, and verify your work. Around here a tranny pro charges about $300 to bench rebuild it.

As for parts, its the most popular auto tranny produced, and its been in production since the early '80s in one form or another. Parts are every where, try Autozone, or Summit racing. Want a decent wed-site, google Raptor 4L60E. Tons of info.

Want a how to on removing teh tranny, check this link.
https://blazerforum.com/m_29933/tm.htm

This is not an easy job, it is the hardest auto repair there is.
One last thing, it only takes a piece of grit the size of a grain of salt to fry a tranny.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
The Slacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reponse Hanr3.
I know my dorm sounds funny.. but it's the only place I have. No room in my garage, and I can't take up space in my friend's garage. I know plenty about cars so I will have absolutely no problem removing the tranny. I have done it a few times in my other vehicle. By the way I just found your post in this thread https://blazerforum.com/m_133585/tm.htm Very helpful.

Auto stores seem to have the rebuild kits for about $200. A little more than the $145 http://www.transmissioncenter.net/st...tm#700R4-4L60E That's one that caught my eye (you have to scroll down a little bit)
I just don't know if its a reputable kit to buy though? My car is battered and bruised and I don't want to spend more money than I have to because...well it's going to literally fall apart soon!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet for the rebuild kit is a "High Energy" rebuild kit. It will have kevlar clutch packs. Get a kevlar 2/4 band as well. Get a Transgo pinless accumulator kit, and if you want a shift kit, now is the time. You can go as wild or as mild as you want. I also highly recommend a new torque converter too.

When I rebuilt mine I bought the High Energy rebuild kit, the kevlar 2/4 band, pinless accumulaotrs, Beast Sun Shell, and Raybestoes Z Pack for the 3/4 clutch pack. It cost me another $80 or so. But I never ahve to worry about my tranny again. This thing is pretty solid.

If the dorm room is the only placeyou have to work so be it. You will need an area where you can lay out all the parts in order. you will need to clena them, I used a water based solvent found at Harbor Freight, like $10 per gallon but makes 5 gallons or so.A parts washer is like $80 at Harbor Frieght too. Being that it is water soluablethe fumes are not combustable. Not saying yourcollege will allow it in the dorm, however it wont be flammable.

It may beworth your time to find a tranny pro who does side work. Ask him how much to bench rebuild the tranny. See if he will give you a garantee.