Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

60k Mile Blazer With Rod Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member
Xander12 is on a distinguished road
Default 60k Mile Blazer With Rod Knock

Hey guys, I have a 60k mile 4x4 1998 blazer. A few weeks ago i took it into a shop to do the intake manifold. After the mechanic did it, he called me and told me the engine now has rod knock. Went to look at it and sure enough it has rod knock.

What should I do? I have about 2000 saved up (im a broke college student). Right now, Ive managed to find transportation so Im not in a huge rush. Engine replacement guy is quoting me at around 1000 dollars not including the used engine. I have a friend that thinks he could do it for me. Is it worth finding a used engine somewhere with only 60k miles on this thing? Or should i sell it for scrap and try to save for something else? Thanks guys! Im at a loss here.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I'd be suspicious of the mechanic that would do work and then tell you something else is broken.

First off, get a second opinion just to be sure.

60k miles is low. The parts for which that mileage would matter include the engine, transmission, front and rear axles, fuel pump. But of course the engine is now no longer on that list. There is also that at low miles there is likely much less corrosion (if you live in the rust-belt). It would be a good project vehicle for someone who'd want to swap the engine. If you are paying someone to work on it, then that can cost a lot. Keep in mind that at over 20 years old, you still have all of the other things that wear out and have to be serviced; brakes, cooling system, battery, etc.

It would be a shame to wreck it but for you, it might not be worth paying someone to put an engine in it. If you were to have an engine put in it, don't use that first mechanic!

Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member
Default Is this rod knock?

98 Blazer with 65k miles. Oil pressure good as shown in video. Could it be anything at all other than rod knock? If not, what should I do from here? I don’t have money for a new vehicle. Thanks!

Last edited by Xander12; 02-09-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I'd be suspicious of the mechanic that would do work and then tell you something else is broken.

First off, get a second opinion just to be sure.

60k miles is low. The parts for which that mileage would matter include the engine, transmission, front and rear axles, fuel pump. But of course the engine is now no longer on that list. There is also that at low miles there is likely much less corrosion (if you live in the rust-belt). It would be a good project vehicle for someone who'd want to swap the engine. If you are paying someone to work on it, then that can cost a lot. Keep in mind that at over 20 years old, you still have all of the other things that wear out and have to be serviced; brakes, cooling system, battery, etc.

It would be a shame to wreck it but for you, it might not be worth paying someone to put an engine in it. If you were to have an engine put in it, don't use that first mechanic!
Thank you for your response and help. I just posted a video of the engine if you want to look at that. I think I will either put a used engine in it or sell it for as much as I can.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:21 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Xander12
98 Blazer with 65k miles. Oil pressure good as shown in video. Could it be anything at all other than rod knock? If not, what should I do from here? I don’t have money for a new vehicle. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/t4zzpGEjoio
Does it do that when it's warmed up?
Can you hear a "rattling a can of spray paint" sound when you turn it on?
Does it stall?
Could be a few things, Rod Knock being the worst of them...

Old 02-09-2020, 03:31 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Xander12
Thank you for your response and help. I just posted a video of the engine if you want to look at that. I think I will either put a used engine in it or sell it for as much as I can.
With a rod knock or a "noise in engine" it gonna be a tough sell to sell it for anything more than 500.

I got mine in perfect condition and talked the guy from 1000 to 900 to 850 to 800 (700? I forget) and then I am the one that over-Seafoamed it and I'm about 80% sure I made mine rod knock (i had a perfect condition engine, too. But I had fun in the process and I am learning and it is getting fixed back to perfect so I really dont care) and 75% sure it needs another engine. Same boat as you.

I was quoted 800-900 to replace engine - not including the engine - also.. and would not be surprised if this new shop wants the same. All the reviews say "Extremely reasonable pricing" well when you get to engines on a mid-90s GM......

Just have to say, in your video. The engine was ice cold. Does the noise change?
Can you hear from top or bottom?

Mine ALSO has oil pressure
and mine ALSO has no "glitter oil"
but.. something is definitely wrong
and I am starting to think the worst.
Taking it for diagnosis and an opinion tomorrow...

Old 02-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 93S10TahoeLT
With a rod knock or a "noise in engine" it gonna be a tough sell to sell it for anything more than 500.

I got mine in perfect condition and talked the guy from 1000 to 900 to 850 to 800 (700? I forget) and then I am the one that over-Seafoamed it and I'm about 80% sure I made mine rod knock (i had a perfect condition engine, too. But I had fun in the process and I am learning and it is getting fixed back to perfect so I really dont care) and 75% sure it needs another engine. Same boat as you.

I was quoted 800-900 to replace engine - not including the engine - also.. and would not be surprised if this new shop wants the same. All the reviews say "Extremely reasonable pricing" well when you get to engines on a mid-90s GM......

Just have to say, in your video. The engine was ice cold. Does the noise change?
Can you hear from top or bottom?

Mine ALSO has oil pressure
and mine ALSO has no "glitter oil"
but.. something is definitely wrong
and I am starting to think the worst.
Taking it for diagnosis and an opinion tomorrow...
Yes, I believe the engine makes the same noise when warmed up. The noise is loudest I would say when i kneel over by the wheel well. Do you think my best option is finding a used engine somewhere putting it in myself? I know that would be the cheapest option. But then you run the risk of buying a bad engine...

Old 02-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 93S10TahoeLT
Does it do that when it's warmed up?
Can you hear a "rattling a can of spray paint" sound when you turn it on?
Does it stall?
Could be a few things, Rod Knock being the worst of them...
Yes i believe it sounds the same when warmed up. I’m not sure about the rattling sound. I am gonna have a friend that knows way more than I do look at it soon. It does not stall.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I merged your threads to keep all relevant info in one thread.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member

What do you guys think about the GM Goodwrench reman engines? With only 65k miles and very minimal rust, could one of those engines be worth it for me? I would love to be able to keep this thing for a long time.

Quick Reply: 60k Mile Blazer With Rod Knock