Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

700r transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ remember the issues he was having with the cluster in his K5 Kyle?.........maybe that's where he found the info for the iron case T350?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
quarterhorseluver is on a distinguished road
Default 700r transmission

My blazer is a four wheel drive, and it is a daily driver... I travel about 80 miles a day with it. I've checked around and got quoted 1700$ to rebuild the tranny in it. Would it be better just to look around junkyards and hope to find one that is good? I'm just afraid that anything I get out of a junkyard is gonna need to be rebuilt. Does anyone know a good place near Harrisonburg VA that would rebuild mine??? I've looked for another 700r online, but again I'm afraid anything I got would need to be rebuilt.
Thanks yall
Dana

Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If youre going to pay $1700 to get yours rebuilt...just get an Art Carr preformance tranny:

http://www.artcarr.com/merchandise/details/14/204.acpp

or go on ebay..theyre less than $1000 on there..

Rebuilt 700r4 - 4WD - 24mo Warranty

Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
quarterhorseluver is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I didn't think about Ebay....

Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quarterhorseluver
I'm just afraid that anything I get out of a junkyard is gonna need to be rebuilt.

been there, done that-4 times in a row!!!

my brother had the trans in his '83 Dime puke while we were up North (yeeeaaaaars ago). towed it how, bought a trans from a well known wreckers.

lets just say, i changed the trans 4 times over the next 7 weeks! each time they gave us another one, it'd go for 7 to 10 days then fail.

the last one from the wreckers, i installed it, towed it to them, so they could ensure it was being set-up properly (they were begining to question my work, so i sugested that to them). didn't do any good, 6 days & it puked. finally, they just gave him back his money, and he took it to my trany guy (finally!), no problems after that.

so, i'd rather spend the cash on a fresh one, and only install it once.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1997 red blazer
The full size Blazer and the S-10 Blazer are not the Same. The Bell housing are Smaller on the S-10. Also Make sure you have a 4x4 or 2wd ? As they have a different Tailshafts. As you did not say what you have in yours?

Must use the Full Size Blazer or Full Size Truck or Suburban 700r4. 1987-89 on the Burbs. Hope this Helps? Good Luck
Partially incorrect, the 700r4 behind the 4.3 V6 is the same tranny behind the fullsize rigs running a gas V8. The difference is in the inside of the tranny, number of clucthes per pack and some other minor differences. The 700R4 behind the 2.8L V6 is different, but not the 4.3L V6.

GM put the 700R4 behind a ton of vehicles, all rear wheel drive V8, and 4.3L V6 have the 700R4 up till '93. the list includes, pickup trucks, vans, corevettes, etc.

If you have 4x4, get a tranny from a 4x4 donor. The output shafts are different between the 2wdr and 4x4 versions. You can convert a 2wdr to 4x4 version, however that requires a complete teardown. And if your going to tear it down, might as well rebuild your current tranny.

Shop around, the 700R4 is one of the most popular tranny's on the market, everybody and thier brother sells them, parts, or rebuilds them. Make a quick call to your favorite salavage yard, no doubt he has at least 10 in stock.

edited to add:
The key to making a salvage yard tranny survive is an addative for tranny shock. When you swap the tranny you also replace at least 75% of the tranny fluid, which is good and bad. On the plus side your changing the fluid which is always good. On the negative side, the tranny may already have some damage, and the new fluid is full of detergents. Those detergents clean out the debris sealing your gaskets. You must replace or stop those gaskets from leaking, hence the addative. Lucas makes a good version of it. Ask your local parts counter guy for tranny shock treatment. He should be albe to point oyu in the right direction.

Last edited by Hanr3; 02-19-2010 at 01:39 PM.