Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

85 S10 Blazer clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
85blazerproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 85 S10 Blazer clutch question

I just picked up a 85 S10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 5 speed with no rust for free.The problem is that the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor.This was my brother in laws truck and he blew the original 2.8 so he and my father in law put in a used 2.8 from another blazer and after they had it together they noticed that the clutch pedal was on the floor so i dont know if they didnt get something lined up or what. I was talking to my father in law tonight and he said something about a rod getting bent when they put it together cause they didnt know what they were doing but he couldnt really remember cause this was 5 or more years ago and its been sitting ever since. So if anyone has any ideas please enlighten me. i havent picked it up yet so i havent looked at it.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 85 S10 Blazer clutch question

To bad you don't have it yet 'cause a picture says 1,000 words.
I believe that the '85 S10 has an external clutch slave cylinder, not like the newer ones.
It's possible that it just needs to be bled, but you've got me thinking about what this bent rod could be.
Another possibility is that the pressure plate could be collapsed and that means replacement.

If you don't find something simple and external you're looking at pulling the transmission.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Chevy lover, his '85 should be set up very similar to your K5 manual tranny shift linkage. Not sure if you have a stick or not, but they should be roughly the same. I believe the '85 predates the hydraulic set-up, but I am not positive on that.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

ok so i picked it up today and i found the slave cylinder and removed it but isnt there supposed to be a rod sticking out of it to disengage the clutch? when i unbolted the slave i heard a sound like a bolt falling on the floor so i think the rod if there is one is laying in my bellhousing somewhere. also i was wondering if there is supposed to be alot of play in the clutch fork cause i stuck a magnet through the slave cylinder hole to try to grab the elusive rod and all i could grab was the fork and it moved back and forth freely like 4 inches then if you pushed it all the way towards the front of the truck it felt like it was hitting a spring but there was so much pressure i couldnt push it any farther so im hoping this is the clutch im trying to disengage. anyway hopefully if i put in a new slave cylinder this will cure the problem, what do you guys think any info would be great.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You're right so far. You need to get that bolt out of the tranny housing. That is probably the cletch pressure plate that you are pressing against. There is a lot of play in the clutch fork right now because the slave and bolt are not holding it in position.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

well ill put in a new slave cylinder tomorrow and ill let you know what happens. I added a pic of it in the gallery if you want to check it out it looks pretty bad now but its been sitting for 7 years.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 AM
BF Veteran

It doesn't look bad at all. It will look great all cleaned up!
Good luck with the slave cylinder, make sure you get all the air bled out of it. Keep an eye on the master cylinder, it's pretty small and may empty quickly.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

well i just got done pulling the engine out of the blazer and found that the throwout bearing was laying in the bottom of the bellhousing. it must have fallen off when they put the engine in.so now i have to figure out a way to keep the bearing from falling off of the fork when i go to put it back together.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

alright engine is back in and what a pain in the *** that was. i bolted the bellhousing to the tranny first so i could install the throwout bearing onto the fork and on the pilot shaft of the tranny, this way there was no way that the bearing could fall off while we were putting the engine back in. there is barely any room to wedge that engine in with that goofy deep sump oil pan. well anyway its in and running. now i just have to clean her up and ill post some new pics.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran

And the clutch is working?

Quick Reply: 85 S10 Blazer clutch question