Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   89 TBI Spark plug wires brand (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/89-tbi-spark-plug-wires-brand-63286/)

89 Blazer Lebanon 09-19-2011 10:00 PM

89 TBI Spark plug wires brand

What's the best spark plug wires brand for my 1989 S10 Blazer Sport 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl? I'm not sure what brands we have here in Lebanon, but I'm sure we have AC Delco.
And what's the best way to clean the spark plugs tips before plugging the new wires? Some told me it's best I wipe the tips with WD40, some said cleaning it with carburetor cleaner to keep it "dry" for maximum contact with wires plugs, some said start with carb cleaner then wipe it with WD40 :icon_shrug:
I have all of the mentioned above to use, I also have silicone lubricant, is that any good if I want to use it for maximum moisture protection, and how do I use it?

xgiovannix12 09-19-2011 11:41 PM

I think delco is the way to go

pettyfog 09-20-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 89 Blazer Lebanon (Post 461485)
What's the best spark plug wires brand for my 1989 S10 Blazer Sport 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl? I'm not sure what brands we have here in Lebanon, but I'm sure we have AC Delco.
And what's the best way to clean the spark plugs tips before plugging the new wires? Some told me it's best I wipe the tips with WD40, some said cleaning it with carburetor cleaner to keep it "dry" for maximum contact with wires plugs, some said start with carb cleaner then wipe it with WD40 :icon_shrug:
I have all of the mentioned above to use, I also have silicone lubricant, is that any good if I want to use it for maximum moisture protection, and how do I use it?

Delco always the best bet.

To clean ceramic either WD40 or carb cleaner dried and wiped off. Then silicone lube on clean cloth and wipe them. Dont let carb cleaner touch rubber.

89 Blazer Lebanon 09-20-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 461521)
Delco always the best bet.

To clean ceramic either WD40 or carb cleaner dried and wiped off. Then silicone lube on clean cloth and wipe them. Dont let carb cleaner touch rubber.

I Guess I'll go buy a set of AC Delco tomorrow.
As for cleaning, I was asking about about the spark plugs tips where they connect to wires. Is it the same as you replied?

89 Blazer Lebanon 09-23-2011 08:31 AM

OK. I bought today a set of AC Delco wires, but it seems that it's not going to be easy to install it as I thought :icon_no:
4 of the cables have angular plugs (spark plugs side), and 2 are straight (one long wire & one short). I don't know which goes where.
And there's a small plastic bag in the pack that has a transparent gel that seems to be contact silicone. How and where should I apply it?

xgiovannix12 09-23-2011 09:07 AM

the way to replace ignition products is by replacing them 1 by 1 matching the connections and lengths

also doing this will not mess up the firing order

If you removed all of them you need to redo the firing order and find out where each wire goes

Edit: this is the firing order make sure the wires are correct or the truck wont run right

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/ZZ...112_firing.gif

pettyfog 09-23-2011 09:15 AM

The reason some would be angled and some straight is to avoid interference with nearby parts. Generally install by lengths, one at a time.

The silicone is to seal connections from air/humidity.. and be applied to both ends, as in previous post. Small amount goes a long way.

89 Blazer Lebanon 09-23-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12 (Post 462183)
the way to replace ignition products is by replacing them 1 by 1 matching the connections and lengths

also doing this will not mess up the firing order

If you removed all of them you need to redo the firing order and find out where each wire goes

Edit: this is the firing order make sure the wires are correct or the truck wont run right

Thanks for the great post, but I already know the firing order ;)
What I wanted to know is where to use the ones with straight plugs. Guess I'll just try till I figure it out.
Thanks again

89 Blazer Lebanon 09-23-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 462184)
The reason some would be angled and some straight is to avoid interference with nearby parts. Generally install by lengths, one at a time.

The silicone is to seal connections from air/humidity.. and be applied to both ends, as in previous post. Small amount goes a long way.

I know why some are straight & some angled, but I don't know where the straight ones go. Guess I'll just try till I figure it out.
Thanks for the silicone application tips

xgiovannix12 09-23-2011 04:32 PM

this is for a 1991 to 1993

this might give you an idea who knows your truck might be the same

http://www.compnine.com/cuimg/1899123335.jpg