Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

89 TBI Spark plug wires brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road
Default 89 TBI Spark plug wires brand

What's the best spark plug wires brand for my 1989 S10 Blazer Sport 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl? I'm not sure what brands we have here in Lebanon, but I'm sure we have AC Delco.
And what's the best way to clean the spark plugs tips before plugging the new wires? Some told me it's best I wipe the tips with WD40, some said cleaning it with carburetor cleaner to keep it "dry" for maximum contact with wires plugs, some said start with carb cleaner then wipe it with WD40
I have all of the mentioned above to use, I also have silicone lubricant, is that any good if I want to use it for maximum moisture protection, and how do I use it?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I think delco is the way to go

Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 89 Blazer Lebanon
What's the best spark plug wires brand for my 1989 S10 Blazer Sport 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl? I'm not sure what brands we have here in Lebanon, but I'm sure we have AC Delco.
And what's the best way to clean the spark plugs tips before plugging the new wires? Some told me it's best I wipe the tips with WD40, some said cleaning it with carburetor cleaner to keep it "dry" for maximum contact with wires plugs, some said start with carb cleaner then wipe it with WD40
I have all of the mentioned above to use, I also have silicone lubricant, is that any good if I want to use it for maximum moisture protection, and how do I use it?
Delco always the best bet.

To clean ceramic either WD40 or carb cleaner dried and wiped off. Then silicone lube on clean cloth and wipe them. Dont let carb cleaner touch rubber.

Last edited by pettyfog; 09-20-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Delco always the best bet.

To clean ceramic either WD40 or carb cleaner dried and wiped off. Then silicone lube on clean cloth and wipe them. Dont let carb cleaner touch rubber.
I Guess I'll go buy a set of AC Delco tomorrow.
As for cleaning, I was asking about about the spark plugs tips where they connect to wires. Is it the same as you replied?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Starting Member

OK. I bought today a set of AC Delco wires, but it seems that it's not going to be easy to install it as I thought
4 of the cables have angular plugs (spark plugs side), and 2 are straight (one long wire & one short). I don't know which goes where.
And there's a small plastic bag in the pack that has a transparent gel that seems to be contact silicone. How and where should I apply it?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

the way to replace ignition products is by replacing them 1 by 1 matching the connections and lengths

also doing this will not mess up the firing order

If you removed all of them you need to redo the firing order and find out where each wire goes

Edit: this is the firing order make sure the wires are correct or the truck wont run right

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 09-23-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The reason some would be angled and some straight is to avoid interference with nearby parts. Generally install by lengths, one at a time.

The silicone is to seal connections from air/humidity.. and be applied to both ends, as in previous post. Small amount goes a long way.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
the way to replace ignition products is by replacing them 1 by 1 matching the connections and lengths

also doing this will not mess up the firing order

If you removed all of them you need to redo the firing order and find out where each wire goes

Edit: this is the firing order make sure the wires are correct or the truck wont run right
Thanks for the great post, but I already know the firing order
What I wanted to know is where to use the ones with straight plugs. Guess I'll just try till I figure it out.
Thanks again

Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
The reason some would be angled and some straight is to avoid interference with nearby parts. Generally install by lengths, one at a time.

The silicone is to seal connections from air/humidity.. and be applied to both ends, as in previous post. Small amount goes a long way.
I know why some are straight & some angled, but I don't know where the straight ones go. Guess I'll just try till I figure it out.
Thanks for the silicone application tips

Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM
BF Guru

this is for a 1991 to 1993

this might give you an idea who knows your truck might be the same

Quick Reply: 89 TBI Spark plug wires brand