Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'91 Full Sized Blazer dies when put into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
themckeown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '91 Full Sized Blazer dies when put into gear.

My '91 Blazer has been sitting for 1 year with minimal use and it has been gradually getting harder to start and drive. I recentlly had a full major tune up on it (cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter, etc.) Now it will start but it will die when it is still in park or if I even put it into gear.In order to drive itand keep it running (at stop lights or going down hills)I need to consantly put pressure on the gas pedal. Also while driving it seems to have trouble shifting. The power doesnt seem to be what it used to beand sometimes when i give it gas it will power downand I will hear a poping noise... almost like ballons poping. The shop that I took it to said that the poping noise is a exhaust leak. What should I do??

Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: '91 Full Sized Blazer dies when put into gear.

get a second opinion but if it is an exhaust leak it will cause your motor to run bad i believe but get a second opinion i had a chevy corsica with that problem kept dying on me but then again it overheated alot it was a junker

Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, how many miles are on it?

I don't have enough information to work with, (maybe somebody else does) but this sounds to me like a fuel delivery issue.. Specifically the fuel injectors and the fuel pump are areas of interest to me. The fuel pumps in Chevy trucks have never been the best in the world by a long shot. I'm assuming this is a TBI engine BTW. Also, when you say major tuneup, did that include the spark control module? What about the ignition module? Also, anybody play with the timing, see if thats where it should be? Exhaust leaks may make the engine run like crap (so would a blocked EGR valve FYI), but in my experience, all of the late 80s-early 90s Chevy truck engines have run sort of rough (by my standards) regardless of what shape they are in.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Is the gas a year old too?
If you have bad gas it won't run well.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:45 AM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Is the gas a year old too?
If you have bad gas it won't run well.
Thinking outside the box, I like it!!!!!

Well, anyways, I think this is probably a combination of issues. Maybe a little transmission slipping too.

Speaking of which, consider a transmission filter and torque converter flush. Most car owners never consider doing this until theres a problem.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

After having my transmission replaced last week - the service manager had told me about another customer they had - who's transmission simply had a switch malfunction... Whenever the customer would drive, and the tranny would attempt to down-shift from overdrive to 2nd & 1st gear, it wouldn't engage (downshift) properly, and the load would kill the engine.

G"luck!
Rex S.,

Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I suppose it's possible for the transmission torque converter to be stuck in the "locked" position and cause a stall at idle.
Possibly a TCC switch gone bad.

Not being a transmission guy, I'm only guessing