Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

93 4.3 CPI Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
bigjohn1139 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 93 4.3 CPI Problems

Thanks Brian and Kyle. Here is what I done this evening:

Removed dist. cap and cleaned contacts, inspected wires, and plugs. Everything looked good so I reinstalled.

Removed ICM and took it to Advance Auto. After testing it about 20 times (enough to get it good and toasty) it passed the test. They tried to test the coil but I am not convinced that the method they used was the correct oneand they could not give me a definitive answer on the condition. I did reinstall the ICM using dieletric grease because it had very little upon removal. I also reinstalled the coil. Took it for a ride, no change...

Added ISO Heat and STP fuel injector cleaner to the tank.

Removed and replaced the FPR with a used one of unknown conditionto see if the symptoms would change...No change in test drive.

I still plan to check the condition of the fuel tomorrow

One more thing I forgot to mention, I notice the the temp. sending unit is not functioning. The gauge never moves. Could this be causing a problem since this problem seem to be heat related?

Whats next?

John

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's something that may be worth giving it a try for testing purposes. If you have access to some steel approximately 1/4" thick, get yourself a new EGR gasket and trace the outside and hole locations onto the steel and trim it up, drilling the holes in the appropriate places. Then remove the EGR valve and install the block off plate.

Again, this should only be used as a temporary trouble shooting step to remove the EGR from the equation. An EGR system effectively reduces cylinder temperatures, reducing the formation of NOx. By reducing the cylinder temps, it also serves to quell some heat induced predetonation. Without a functioning EGR system, some uncontrolled predetonation may result... Not to mention problems that may result at inspection time.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I have access and all the equipment needed to fab the plate. I will try tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks,
John.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

UPDATE: I just aquired a pressure test gauge and I took it for a drive and low and behold I see a problem. I did a leak check Ign on and off and it pumped up to 58psi and held for at least 5 min. started and it hovered around 50-52. So I decided to take it down the road. The pressure started to drop as soon as I left my driveway. It dropped to 50psi but the further I traveled the lower it went and then when it reached 45psi it started to bog down, when I let up the pressure would go back up to 48-50psi but everytime I tried from that point to accelerate the pressure would go back down and bog. After turning if off for a minute and turning the ign. back on the pressure was at 58 psi and it idled perfect.

Where would be the best place for me to start?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You've changed the fuel filter already correct?? The next thing I would look at is possibly some way to watch the voltage to the pump... There may be something affecting the pump or the pump may just be weak..

Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member

Yes the fuel filter and the pump has been replaced. I guess I can check it on the relay. I will try that.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member

OK, I rigged up my meter along with my pressure in the cab with me. I guess people passing by thought I was stupid...little do they know, I AM!!! I had the positive conected to the grey wire coming out of the fuel pump relay and the neg. to gnd. The voltage remained at 13.8 VDC. I have also noticed that the pump really gets loud when this occurs, like its in a strain.

I think maybe one of two things, my new filter is clogged again or the previous pinched a line when he reinstalled the tank.

What are your thoughts???

Old 01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

If you can probe the wires closer to the pump, I would try that... It is possible that there is a pinched wire that, when higher electrical load is required, heats up and actually decreases the power available at the pump.

At this point, it definitely sounds like this is a fuel supply problem. Now you just have to determine if it is the new filter, new pump, or a wiring issue. If the problem didn't change with either the new pump or the new filter, then I would suspect something else, i.e. wiring.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Thank God... I removed the filter and everything looked good so I decided to drop the tank. You would not believe the trash that was in there. There was rust, water and dirt all over the bottom. I suppose it was too much for the previous owner to clean the tank but I guess I am kinda glad because thats one reason I got such a good deal on it. I guess that Brian hit the nail on the head about the contamination. Anyway I cleaned the tank and the suction strainer on the bottom of the pump and reinstalled. Purrs like a kitten. I rean it about twenty hard miles and the problem is gone...

I am indebted to you guys for the help, you do a great job! Kudos to you Kyle for all of the helpful hints and insights.

I have several things I still need to fix so I am sure I will be a member for a long time.

Thanks again for your support.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

dont rule out your fuel return lines too.

Quick Reply: 93 4.3 CPI Problems