Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

93 blazer 4l60e transmission issue, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013 | 01:53 PM
|
astro209 is on a distinguished road
Default 93 blazer 4l60e transmission issue, please help!!

Hi everyone!

I have a feeling this is something simple, but I just don't know enough yet about these transmissions. If someone could please point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it!

1993 2X4 S10 Blazer, 3.8L V6, 4L60E transmission.

Transmission used to work perfectly, then one day I was testing a new engine rebuild and had the vehicle in reverse with the brake pedal pressed. I was trying to see if the engine would overheat in gear and I was using reverse so I wouldn't accidentally let go of the brake and ram the garage (I know now that this was not the best idea). I gave the engine just the tiniest amount of acceleration while holding my foot on the brake and POP! No more reverse!

I researched the issue and discovered that it was the sunshell. Seriously, when I was younger I used to do reverse burnouts in my 68 Mustang and this was nothing even close. I know these OEM sunshells are weak but I had no idea they were that weak. If I were towing a boat or something heavy like that and had to use reverse, it would have killed it too. I ordered an upgraded model (the beast) and carefully disassembled the transmission and replaced the sunshell. I got everything back together and now I have a new problem.

The transmission works perfectly except for the following... When driving in OD or D the transmission shifts normally while accelerating and while at speed, but upon slowing down the transmission seems to get stuck in 2nd gear and barely shifts into 1st before the engine dies. At a stop, if I run through the gears everything shifts fine until I get to 2nd. As soon as I place the gear selector in the 2nd position (It takes about a second) it kills the engine.

I'm not sure if I damaged something else when I originally broke it, or if I just put something back together incorrectly. I hope that since the issue seems to be pretty specific someone will know right away what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Old 08-24-2013 | 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

first off,you have the 4.3v6,not the 3.8

as for the sunshell,ive beaten the **** out of the many ive owned,burnouts,donuts,even maybe a few Neutral bombs. Never broke one until i was towing 12k pounds. Sounds like you had one that was on its way out and it finally died. It is a weak point,but unless you are pushing 500hp or pulling some weight,they usually hold up.

as for the big problems,i dont have a clue. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Old 08-24-2013 | 03:14 PM
|

Yes... You're correct. Sorry. It is the 4.3. I always get it mixed up. Sorry. Thanks for that. Also thanks for the input on these transmissions. I was begining to feel like it was made of glass! Hopefully someone else will know whats up. At first I thought maybe I put the band in wrong. But after watching more videos on youtube, it appears i did it correctly. There is a round receptor on the metal part of the band that is designed for the part that goes through the valve body. I lined that all up and the round part fit into the receptor perfectly. Sorry for my lack of industry terms....lol

Old 08-25-2013 | 01:24 PM
|

Happy Sunday everyone! Hope your day is amazing!

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this issue???

Thanks again!