Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'94 won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member
EljayK004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '94 won't start...

I just bought this truck on Wednesday. The truck ran like brand new the first two days I drove it. I drove it home from work Friday at around 7PM, when I went to leave for work at 9AM, the truck started and immedeatly died. I tried cranking it about 20 times and nothing happened most of the time. A couple of times it would turn about half a turn and make a grinding sound. When I got home from work, I replaced the starter and got the exact same thing, except it wouldn't even turn at all or grind. The starter is shooting the bendix pin, but the engine won't crank. I fear the engine might be seized up, but that wouldn't explain why it started and suddenly died, never to start again.

The technical aspects are as follows, to the best of my knowledge;
1994 s-10 Blazer 4x4 automatic 4.3L v-6.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '94 won't start...

I also have a 94 4.3L auto 4x4 now the only thing you didnt mention is if yours has the vortec or the tbi version (assuming vortec since a very small percentage of 94's had the tbi like 9% if I remember right) anyways mine just did the same thing the other day, shut it off and now it wont crank over, like you I thought the engine had seized but I just got some info (from this very website) that I am going to try first so will share that with you and maybe its the same issue.

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Before you go dropping coin on that engine....

Do you smell gas in the oil?
Hows your oil level, too full?
If your FPR is dumping fuel it will stop your engine from cranking over. Liquids dont compress. Took me almost a week to figure that out. Teh parts store had the wrong FPR in the box. The box was correct, it just ahd the wrong part in it. It was dumping gas big time and locked my engine up. I could spin it by hand, after the gas drained into the oil pan.

A new FPR is like $70.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully it helps.

One thing I would like to add.
All 4.3 S10 engines are Vortec engines. GM didn't start advertising them as such until later models. In '96 on, (I believe) is when everyone considers the "Vortec". Even my 2putt8 engine in my '87 is a Vortec engine. Vortec is the way the heads are designed, later versions got better, hence post '96 engines being commonly referred to as Vortecs and the rest not vortecs.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member

*Combining Threads*

OK, in my last post someone mentioned the "locking up of the engine" could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. A friend of mine who has worked on cars a little bit, told me to remove the spark plugs, which I did. When I got to the middle one on the driver's side, about a cup of gas poured out. Needless to say, the oil also smells like gasoline. After the gas poured out, I tried turning the key and the engine spun just fine. I haven't replaced the plug in it, yet (I dropped the damn plug and socket and can't find it), so I haven't actually started the engine, yet. When spinning the motor a large amount of gas comes out of the same sparkplug hole.

Obviously this is a fuel issue, so I'm guessing the FPR is probably the issue, right? Could it be anything else? If this is the FPR, how do I go about replacing it? The engine is a 4.3LVortec.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny K

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining threads

Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry about the posting in multuple threads. On another forum I go to, they like threads to be split up.

I'm not sure of the difference in engines. Is there something I should look for? Sorry for not being able to be too specific here, this is my first GM in 10 years.

Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the gas in the spark plug hole, you have an internal fuel leak. You need to pop the top off of the plenum and assess where the leak is coming from. Being that it is the center driver's side cylinder that is filling up, I'm betting the FPR is toast. LinderTech.com sells an FPR update kit that allows you to upgrade to the newer style FPR (fuel pressure regulator) on your CPI spider. You will also want to get the 'nut kit', which is the internal fuel lines that run to the CPI spider. These lines should always be replaced when removal of the CPI spider is necessary.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member

OK, i finally got around to tearing the upper plenum off, I've got the CPI spider, but someone replaced the fuel lines in there with rubber hoses and those were what was leaking. Is there anywhere I can get the fuel lines? Does anyone know a part number I can give to the dealer? Does anyone even have a picture of what they look like? No one even seems to know what I'm talking about when I call the auto parts stores.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

don't know part # right off but got mine from rockauto.com listed under fuel/air folder in the fuel hose subfolder iirc hope it helps.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: EljayK004

OK, i finally got around to tearing the upper plenum off, I've got the CPI spider, but someone replaced the fuel lines in there with rubber hoses and those were what was leaking.
You don't mean actual 'rubber' instead of 'neoprene' do you? Because if they are rubber, I can promise it was done by the owner immediately before you. Gasoline will eat through rubber muy pronto.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is referred to as the 'nut kit' and should be available from any autoparts store. Check Rockauto.com for the PNs.