Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 and 97 transmission interchangable?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member
moldeck is on a distinguished road
Default 95 and 97 transmission interchangable?

I have a 97 blazer 4wd. looking at a 95 transmission 4wd both have 4L60E marked on the side. just want to make sure they are the same and interchangable

Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see if both transmissions state PWM on the pump cover (behind the torque converter on the front of the transmission). If not, no dice!

Besides, for the 96+, it is always safer to go up in years as more improvements were made along the way.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

more than likely it does interchange. 96 and 99 have the same cause i put a trans out of a 99 in my 96 jimmy

Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The change to the PWM TCC solenoid occurred sometime in '95. The a PWM transmission cannot be used in place of a non-PWM transmission and vise versa. So it comes down to whether or not this particular 95 has a PWM transmission.

You could also compare the valve body solenoids. The non-PWM valve body will not have the TCC apply feel solenoid. Your valve body needs to have all of the following components, specifically balloon 396:

There should be two solenoids on the front of the valve body that look the same (394 and 396 are the same PN).

Would you rather assume or check and make sure that the transmission is going to work??

Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
CHASER33 is on a distinguished road

I have the same situation. I had a podunk mechanic tell me that the transmission from my 95 is capable of taking a chip therefor it cant be placed in my 97, could there be any truth to this? He claims he found this out by comparing VINS. How do I tell for sure if they are interchangeable?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CHASER33
How do I tell for sure if they are interchangeable?
Read my posts above.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

got lucky!! I left to go buy this trans before anyone replied... both are PWM on the pump... Picked up the trans and transfer case for 150.00 Came with all the electrical wires front drive shaft... motor was allready pulled in the blazer it came out of. Drove over an hour one way to get it. so if it was wrong i was bumming

Swart, would you use the trans and case that was bought or put the transter case that was in back in. The only issue I had with the old one was the front wheels not locking in. I have searched your posts and think I have a spring problem. I also have a very holey vacume line comming from the trans too.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Good deal!

If the transfer cases are the same model, use which ever one looks best to you. Since you know that yours works, maybe keep the other one for future use..?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

found a metal plate on the trans GM Reconditioned!! looking better and better.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Hopefully that includes some of the improvements made along the way. Good find!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 and 97 transmission interchangable?