Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 Chevy Blazer 4.3 (W) Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 AM
blazerguy709 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Chevy Blazer 4.3 (W) Please Help!!

Hi There, It seems some of you may have been thru my problem and Im hoping you can help. I recently bought a 95 blazer with a 4.3 and it has died it wont crank but it is trying. it starts out like a thud, and if you hold the key forward it starts to crank and i get like one click but it will not turn over. at first we thought it was a voltage issue because the instrument cluster just fades to the left on all gauges and then when you stop turning the key it comes back to life but dont start. We took advice from all the net forums and posting including some of yours, we replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the starter we did first, both positive and negative wires, then the battery and new plugs with new oil and filter, but gas is still getting in the crankcase and we are stumped, it now has a weird burning kinda smell so we arent really sure what that is now either, it started after we changed the fuel regulator etc..we are thinking about the ignition switch next but really dont know what else to do. We changed the water pump when we first got it because the previous owner did nothing and just beat it to death, and now it seems like we are trying to ressurect this vehicle, i always wanted to restore a vehicle just wasnt planning it on being a 95 chevy blazer. any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I need a new radiator for it too but we did try to seal it up with JB Weld, but cant tell if it worked because we cant start the truck.. This ismy new vehicle i need to drive to work in and i start Nov 30th i could really use some advice, thanks, Mike from Mechanicsburg,PA 174,000 miles paid $700.00 dollars for it..

Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

we replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the starter we did first, both positive and negative wires, then the battery and new plugs with new oil and filter, but gas is still getting in the crankcase and we are stumped, it now has a weird burning kinda smell so we arent really sure what that is now either, it started after we changed the fuel regulator etc.

The fuel pressure regulator is not a separate item on this year truck. the f/p reg is built into the "spider" . If someone sold you a separate f/p reg or you "engineered" one yourself that could be the source of fuel in the crank case.
As for the starting issue does the engine rotate at all? If not pull all the plugs and try to rotate it by hand or even with the starter. You said you replaced the starter, did you check to see if it needed shims?
The burning smell scares me!! Check that you didn't pinch any wires when you put the upper plenum back on. Also check your fuse panel, I had one on another truck that went bad and melted the panel but didn't burn any fuses.Replaced the panel and had no more trouble, just a thought.
Good Luck

Old 11-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jigger
The fuel pressure regulator is not a separate item on this year truck. the f/p reg is built into the "spider" .
Sorry, but this is false. The CPI spider has a replaceable FPR. Many here have done this repair. Even the newer SCFI engines had a replaceable FPR. Sure, a new spider comes with a new FPR, but it definitely can be replaced separate from the spider.

I'll agree that you could have fuel "hydro-locking" the engine. When replacing the FPR, you can inadvertently open up a leak in the 'nut-kit'. Pull the plugs and see if fuel pours out.

Did you leak test the system before you buttoned it back up after replacing the FPR?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Sorry, but this is false. The CPI spider has a replaceable FPR. Many here have done this repair. Even the newer SCFI engines had a replaceable FPR. Sure, a new spider comes with a new FPR, but it definitely can be replaced separate from the spider.
Cool my bad I was always told that they were only available together-good info!!
I yield to the smart guys!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

have you tried putting direct power to the starter to verify that it'll crank over completely? i'd figure this would be a good starting poit, before you get into the ignition switch.

Last edited by rriddle3; 11-29-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Removed reference to double posting. Taken care of by Forum Staff
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Default 95 Blazer 4.3 (W) Unresolved

we pulled the spark plugs out and hand turned the engine fuel came out the driver side plug hole number 4 the more i cranked by hand the more fuel came out, we determined the burning smell was from trying to start it so much(starter), we did jump the battery a few time to try to give it a power boost and almost had it but it died again... when we pulled the plugs we tried to crank and fuel shot out on 3 occasions out the intake and the plug hole 4, we are going to replace the spider tomorrow: hopefully that will fix it, we believe we are on the right track because until we replaced the FPR it wouldn't even crank and now it at least it trys but just wont turn over, thanks for the replies any additional help would be super...

Last edited by blazerguy709; 11-29-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before you replace anything further, remove the upper plenum and pressurize the system. Look for where it is leaking. Only replace what is necessary. I suspect that you have cracked one of the feed/return lines to the spider in your FPR replacement. These lines are not too terribly expensive, but do not come with a new spider. I would hate for you to replace the spider only to find out that you had the same issue.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

i would test the ignition switch before you replace it b/c its not a cheap part. my .02

Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM

I think there are some special o-rings that need replacing every time you open the fuel connection also. Did you do that? Just don't use the black rubber ones.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM

So I ripped the intake apart sure enough its the one fuel feed/return line blowing into the crankcase and also which is causing the fuel to dump into sparkplug hole number 4 called the dealer 100 bucks but hopefully this will finally fix the problem at least i didnt have to spend 300 on the CPI gonna have to change the oil AGAIN but at least my crankcase should be nice and clean thanks alot for the help guys all this work and I've only driven her 22miles!! I'll keep ya posted ...

Last edited by blazerguy709; 12-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 Chevy Blazer 4.3 (W) Please Help!!