Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 4dr 4.3l 2wd chevy blazer- please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Starting Member
zom-blazer is on a distinguished road
Question 96 4dr 4.3l 2wd chevy blazer- please help

first off i guess i should start at the beginning of my troubles....

my car out of nowhere wouldnt start. gas was low, almost on empty. it tried to start but wouldnt. sounded like it wasnt firing. so i, like half an idiot, decided to go down the line. i knew it hadnt been driven for a while and when i checked the plug wires one of em just chipped apart. stiff from sitting so long with no use. so first on the list was spark plugs and plug wires. didnt help. so i figured i would check out the distributer cap. it was chipped and the rotor was fried. replaced but didnt help. pcv valve replaced. no help. coil replaced didnt help. i found that my fuse box was had a loose fuse slot and wouldnt give good contact. it was my fuel pump fuse. pick-up module? ( is that what its called?) anyways, replaced and i got it to fire. shocked the **** out of me. but i checked it with my old plugs not my new bosch platinum 2's. it started up after puttin gas in the intake manifold. so i started checkin out everything else cause of course 300 dollars later it wasnt workin. well my fuel pump was bad. so i replaced it. now i got it started but it back fires and dies. im wondering if i didnt set my rotor back correctly after replacing the pick up module in the distributer. or maybe i threw the plug wires on wrong. but i dont know the firing sequence so a diagram would reall help. maybe my new plugs suck. i want to say that ive heard that platinum plugs wont work well with some vehicles but i could be makin stuff up. the point is its startin but backfires and dies. im almost 600 hundred in on this and i honestly am 50 bucks from broke now. any ideas or info would be awesome and greatly appreciated. i dont even mind a text to my phone. 918-381-5253. i really need it fixed so that i can get to work without bummin rides at 6:00 am.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

this should help. if not id make sure everything is lined up with distributer.

Attached Thumbnails 96 4dr 4.3l 2wd chevy blazer- please help-96newer43lplugwires.jpg  
Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you removed the distributor to replace the CMP sensor, then you may not have reinstalled it properly. If that is the case, then the thread linked to below will run you through the steps of getting the distributor back in proper time with the rest of the engine:
EDI Engine Timing

There really is only one way to put the rotor back on (at least properly) so I doubt that is your problem.

Almost all of the caps have the cylinder numbers embossed near the terminals so screwing up the order is much more difficult, but one thing that many screw up is the order on the driver side (bank 1). The order on the cap goes 3, 1, 5. On the passenger side, it goes 2, 4, 6, & C (coil).

Also, I would recommend not posting your phone number on an open forum. All kinds of advertising bots can get a hold of it and start calling you out of the blue.