Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 Blazer shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
nitro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Blazer shuts off while driving

My 96 S-10 Blazer (4.3 4x4 automatic ) shuts off while driving. This is the third time it has occurred. When approaching a red light, it loses all power, shuts off like a light switch. If I let it sit for a couple of minutes it turns over and starts, but as soon as I put it into gear it shuts off. It actually let me sit Sunday morning on my way to work. It started up three different times, but every time I put it into gear it shut off. On the last attemp to start it, it started up, so I left it idle in park for a couple of minutes before I placed it in to drive. When I placed it into drive it stayed running. After I got off work, I started my blazer up and had no problems driving home. Later that night I had to pick my daughter up and I used my blazer and it did not give any problems. I had it to the garage 3 times now for the same problem. It can act up, then it will run for a couple of months without any problems. So far I had the crank shaft sensor, the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the ignition coil replaced. I talked to the garage today and they suggested that I have my fuel injectors cleaned. If anyone can help me with this situation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 96 Blazer shuts off while driving

Does it completely die and shut off immediatly or does it hesitate then die?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 AM

I have taken notice that sometimes it hesitates while driving. But when it shuts off, it seems to be immediatly. I still have power to my radio,lights and gauges when it does shut off.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I am leaning towards dirty injectors but I am not a 100% on that another thing is when was the last time you changed your fuel filter and used a fuel system cleaner?? Just want to rule some things out so your not throwin parts at it!!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time that you did any routine maintenance? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor? Cleaned the EGR valve? Cleaned the MAF sensor? Just a starting point.

Anyway, dirty injectors shouldn't be a spuratic problem, but a bottle or two of Chevron won't hurt anything.

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:24 PM

I do know that I have replaced the spark plugs. ( I don't know off the top of my head when they were replaced, I do keep a book of everything that is replaced and when oil is changed, but I do not have the book with me right now to give you a time frame on the spark plugs.) The air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil and crank shaft sensor was all just recentally replaced since August. I don't know much about vechicles, but how do you clean the EGR valve, and the MAF sensor? I was also talking with someone about this problem. I have a remote start and security system on my blazer. Do you think this could be causing the problem? I have roughly 97,000 miles on my blazer and I do know things don't last forever and parts will need to be replaced. My service engine light does come on and stays on for a day or so then it goes off. When it let me sit on Sunday, the light did not come on. When a code was pulled, it gave a code of mifire.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend a tune-up, although I am not sure that will cure your shut off problem.

Almost sounds like you are losing power from the battery, alt.
Take off your battery wires and look at them. They could be cooroded internally. Check your battery terminals too.