Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 blazer transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 blazer transmission help

thanks for looking! so i have a 96 blazer 2 door recently developed a little shifting problem it hesitates shifting from 1st to second and sometimes 2 to 3rd. the 1st time it was low on oil for some reason i don't know why it wasn't on the ground in the t case or coolant so i don't know where it went anyway filled it up fixed my problem for a month or so and now its started to do it again tonight but stopped after i put it in gear 1 and did about 12 or 15 mph oil level was fine. any help would be great! also i did a tranny oil and filter change about 20k ago tranny has about 90k total on it. Thanks for your time!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Starting Member

anyone?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
blazer_grl is on a distinguished road

When you did the trans oil change did you do a total flush of the system or did you just drop the pan? Also, was there any metallic debris on the magnet, or clutch material in the old fluid?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Starting Member

i dropped the pan and changed seal and filter and filled back up with new oil. yes the magnet had some debris on it not sure what it was just wiped it off didn't take much to clean pan or magnet i did feel it it felt a little gritty on the fingers but nothing that concerned me at the time i figured that's why the mag was there. the trans has not had anymore hesitation or slipping so im wondering if it could be a solenoid / shift solenoid. thanks again for looking

Old 01-15-2012, 03:36 PM

No problem =)

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

so any ideas on what it could be or what i should do should i change the shift solenoids if so what ones any help would be appreciated

Old 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM

It could have been some clutch or metallic debris on the shift solenoids, but that's just a theory. The reason I asked if you had flushed the trans or not is because what fluid you do end up draining out of there by just removing the pan is probably only half of the tranny's fluid capacity. The other remaining amount is in the torque converter, the pump, and other various nooks and crannies, including the valve body. So that leftover fluid could have been carrying some debris that's been circulating through the system ever since. A good flush of the system would be the least invasive approach.

What color was the fluid the last time you changed it?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Starting Member

how do i go about doing a flush? last time i did it it was a redish color wasn't black or burnt smelling

Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I personally do not like a total flush of the trannys, I have heard a lot of bad things about them on high mileage engines/trannys. When they flush the tranny, the pump they send down the tranny dipstick tube sends ultra sonic vibrations which can rattle things lose that would have been otherwise stuck in place, thus introducing new problems.
Just my thought.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM

I haven't heard of that before. But I'm sure not all flush machines work the same way. Some of them just hook up to the cooler.

Quick Reply: 96 blazer transmission help